Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Nope.

First off, GSM phones also use forms of CDMA for 3G. Surprise!

Secondly, the ban only affects phones with a broadband chip made by Infineon.

Verizon and later iPhones used the Qualcomm broadband chip and are not affected.

I'll tell you what I'm not surprised about. A apple forum poster posting something he has no idea of wtf he is talking about.

Surprised!!!!

CDMA is CDMA and has nothing to do with gsm and the phones Verizon still sells (iPhone 4 and 4s)that use infridged CDMA hardware are affected by this ban.

Just so I can have a better laugh can you please tell us all what forms of gsm 3g use CDMA Lol

Its 2 completely different networks

kdarling

macrumors P6
CDMA is CDMA and has nothing to do with gsm...

CDMA has a lot to do with GSM 3G, but here's the source of your confusion:

The "CDMA" that I and the patent are talking about is not the slang for Verizon's specific implementation, which is really CDMA-2000 1xRTT and 1xEVDO.

We're talking about radios that use the general CDMA method of communicating.

... and the phones Verizon still sells (iPhone 4 and 4s)that use infridged CDMA hardware are affected by this ban.

Nope. As I said, ONLY THE INFINEON CHIPS ARE BANNED, because they did not have a license for Samsung's CDMA patent.

Later iPhones, including Verizon's, used Qualcomm chips. Those are okay because they have a license.

That's why the only devices affected are AT&T's iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, iPad 3G, iPad 2 3G... all of which used Infineon.

Just so I can have a better laugh can you please tell us all what forms of gsm 3g use CDMA Lol

All forms of GSM 3G (UMTS 3G) use CDMA radios, either W-CDMA, TD-CDMA or TD-SCDMA.

History lesson: back when 2G celluar was just starting, engineers knew that CDMA radios were the best solution for max bandwidth and simultaneous users, especially later on for 3G.

That's why the wealthiest and most technically advanced carriers skipped straight to using CDMA radios. That included Verizon and other carriers in Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Korea et al.

It cost more to deploy at first than GSM, but when it came time to update to 3G, it was much quicker and easier for them, since they were already using CDMA type radios and the towers were sited for it.

On the other hand, GSM phones and towers had to ADD A SECOND RADIO SET using CDMA air interfaces (primarily W-CDMA) in order to get 3G... and the carriers often had to rearrange their cells. For AT&T, this was especially difficult and time consuming due to the territory size and cost of adding towers.

On the upside for GSM, they were able to use the extra design time and frequency bandwidth to create even faster implementations of W-CDMA for UMTS-3G, which GSM users enjoy today.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.