Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toonces9966

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
I'm really starting to consider if l really need the 27' screen and could use some "words of wisdom" from those that have had an iMac before.

Some Notes to consider: I'm a new iMac user (switching from PC)

*I'm not a computer gamer
*l do some photo editing, not much if any video editing
*Outside of some online games the kids play, no real video/movie watching
*Will be used for School, kids art stuff etc...
*l have not intention of reselling the machine...l'm a "keep it till it's done" type person

Although the 27 monitor is beautiful, do l need one that is that big. l think the 21.5 would suffice (l would pimp out the 21 inch if l had to).....Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again Everyone.

Last edited:

mapleleafer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
I always recommend that people go to an Apple store or an authorised dealer and have a look at both. Lots of people rave about the 27", but it's too big for some, like me. The resolution of the 27" is higher than that of the 21.5", so the system fonts are very small. The fonts of most applications can be adjusted to your suiting, but other than reducing the resolution, the system fonts cannot be adjusted (as far as I know).

barnyard

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
I'd go for the 27 inch if you can afford it. It's the one thing you'll never be able to upgrade in your all-in-one. Plus, it's amazing.

Toonces9966

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Much appreciate the response, cheers
:eek:

----------

I'd go for the 27 inch if you can afford it. It's the one thing you'll never be able to upgrade in your all-in-one. Plus, it's amazing.

Thanks for the response, my dilemma is not the cash it's just that I'm afraid the 27 inch may be too big for my kids....

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Depends how big your desk/work area is and if you need the upgraded 3d hardware.

If you don't need the 3d abilities, i'd take a 21.5" machine with a second 21.5" display over a single 27 any day.

Obviously 2x27" would be better, but that's a lot of desk space...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.