Samtb
macrumors 6502a

How do you use your devices

How do you use your iPad, iPhone and mac/pc
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:42 AM   #2
Cptnodegard
macrumors 6502

Samsung Galaxy SII: PDA/house brain. It controls my apartment; turns off the lights when I leave, my computer when I go to sleep, notifies me of my grocery list when I go out, other todo lists, gives me access to temperature data from sensors around the apartment, reads me weather and other info when I get up, etc- most of it fully automatic. I don't often leave the lock screen, as I've set it up to either do it automatically, or so that I can do 95% of what I need from the lock screen.

iPad mini: Actual app interaction. For studying, and for teaching. Take notes, read, handle documents, grade papers, digital whiteboard, presenting tool, read magazines, news readers, etc. Pretty much an "app island paradise"; lots of single apps that serve a specific purpose, without the complete tie in to everything and anything that my phone has. I do have a folder full of icons that send commands to my phone, which in turn can e.g. forward its last notification to the iPad, turn off the lights, or check the weather sensors and return the data as a notification on my iPad.

Desktop PC: Alpha and omega when at home, doing work, watching video, playing games. Always on when not at home, allowing me to Splashtop into it from my iPad.
Cptnodegard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:29 AM   #3
AlabamaAce
macrumors newbie

Wow, Cpt, your SII is seriously hooked up! Are your lights and thermostat connected to a wireless network or something?
AlabamaAce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Cptnodegard
macrumors 6502

Tellstick Net control unit that controls various "dumb" (and cheap) home automation gear and bridges them to the web. It's a very long story, but i doubt you could dig up someone with a more customized system if you tried for a year
Cptnodegard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Zyriab
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
How do you use your iPad, iPhone and mac/pc
iPad and iPhone: I hold the device in my left hand and use my right to operate it.
Mac: Supported by desk and I use both hands to operate it.
Zyriab is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyriab View Post
iPad and iPhone: I hold the device in my left hand and use my right to operate it.
Well, arent you a wicked trickster.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:56 PM   #7
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Quote:
I sometimes hold my iPhone with my right hand and use my right thumb to operate it...
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:05 PM   #8
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

iPad - Web browsing, playing games, notes in school

MacBook Pro 13" - Web browsing, YouTube, gaming, applications that require a computer (Photoshop, Microsoft Office, etc.)

iPod Touch - Music, gaming, checking email quickly
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:18 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

MacBook Pro - Autodesk Maya, SketchBook Designer, Unity, Eclipse, Adobe Photoshop, After Effects, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Scrivener - All my productivity workflow stuff. And then I stuff my notes into Evernote. Otherwise just browsing the internet.

iPad Mini - Reading magazines, looking at the weather, drawing, writing, and playing with sounds. Some games, but very few.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket - More reading, taking pictures, and looking at the news.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:54 AM   #10
Badrottie
macrumors 68020

ipad for reading tweets, Facebook, flipboard, netflix and games
mbp for web browsing, FaceTime, photpshop, video editing, and netflix
iphone for email, Facebook, tweets, reading news/sports and texting/imessage
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:09 AM   #11
thetruth1985
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I came in here to post something similar but you beat me to it!
thetruth1985 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:05 PM   #12
PortableLover
macrumors regular

Laptop : for 3d renders/animations, working in game engines, using the Adobe Creative Suite(Premiere, Photoshop & After Effects mainly), Maya(soon), 3DSMax and generally hard to handle stuff lol. A few other suites as well.

iPad: For preliminary design work( I use PS Touch and SketchBook as well as other apps), games as well and videos.

iPhone: Games, email, reminders, music and the usual calling and messaging. To be honest, I find the iPad too large to carry everywhere and I don't need to design work everywhere... This iPhone(5) has replaced my old Nokia n73, its been a big improvement in almost everything.

Needless to say the most important thing is my laptop. I am going to try and wait for the new Mac Pro 2013.
PortableLover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:03 PM   #13
temna
macrumors regular

MacBook: ripping DVDs and downloading torrents

Ipad mini: everything else
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:56 PM   #14
Arianasieghart
macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro: I really only use it for homework, sometimes Internet browsing if I have time to kill.

iPad mini: web browsing, apps, homework storage, games, Netflix

iPhone 5: calls, texts, email, music, some fitness/calorie counter apps, and twitter.

iPod touch 4th gen: right now I only use it as a baby monitor using an app & another one of my iOS devices.

iPad 1st gen: gave it to my 2 year old when I got the mini. He has a ton of toddler apps and movies on it. Keeps him entertained while I get homework done.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad