Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

streetprince

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
I just got my 15 inch rMBP base a couple of days ago. And I must say I'm enjoying it. However I need an external drive solution that works well with my rig and this Macbook. I'd like to store all of my files (mostly music)on an external drive because I do all of my downloading on my rig which stays on 24/7 in most cases. I really don't want to leave the Macbook on when I'm not using it.

So are there any drives that stand out as better than others in that market for what I want to use it for?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Any hard drive would work fine for both. It's all about how you format the drive that matters. ExFAT would probably be the best method for formatting. Since exFAT is compatible with both and doesn't have the file size limitation of FAT.

As for a drive manufacturers I like Seagate, Hitachi and Western Digital. Iomega and Lacie are fine but you don't know whose brand of hard drive you are getting in the case.

streetprince

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Ok. Yeah I almost bought a laCie when I was in the store but I really wanted a second opinion. Thanks.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Iomega and Lacie are fine but you don't know whose brand of hard drive you are getting in the case.

Considering Seagate purchased Lacie about a year ago, it's a pretty safe bet any hard drives on the shelves these days by Lacie will contain a Seagate hard drive. Just sayin'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.