Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Well then they should use a laptop then. Or use two hands. I see many people on the train with books and most would be too heavy to read after 30 minutes on one hand.

So what do they do?......They switch to the other hand...or put their knees up and read off their legs.

People are complaining about a device that's ahead of its time. To pack this technology in a tablet and still have it as thin as it is now, is still amazing.

Before this..really....what did you use? A Blackberry? A Moto Razer? Sharp Zaurus?

That wasn't that long ago.....but we still get people that can't see how good they have it.

You're right but people will always complaint about dumb things, my major complaint about iPad 3 is the lack of a real file system manager, I hope Apple address this issue as soon as possible...

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
Hoping to pickup a iPad 3 16GB later this month, currently running a iPad 1 16GB.

Can't wait, will be looking into case choices to keep it cool though especially when out and about.

kooskoos1814

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
I honestly don't understand the issue with the weight. I read for hours on my iPad and don't notice the weight at all. Why? Because I don't hold the damn thing. I prop it up on something using the smart cover or whatever other case I'm using. If I had to support the entire weight of the iPad with my own arms, then heck yeah it'd be too heavy. But so would the iPad 2 ... and even the iPad 2 with a few ounces shaved off of it.

It's not a paperback book, so just adjust the way you hold the device and you won't have any issues.
I see you have both an iPad and a MBA 11'' just like I do, how do you use them ?

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I see you have both an iPad and a MBA 11'' just like I do, how do you use them ?

I never use my MBA unless I'm on a business trip. And even then, it's only a backup just in case I need to do something that my iPad can't handle. I'm totally sold on the tablet form factor and can't wait for the day when these things are as powerful as current laptops.

At home, I'm usually on my iMac or iPad.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
You're right but people will always complaint about dumb things, my major complaint about iPad 3 is the lack of a real file system manager, I hope Apple address this issue as soon as possible...

They're not going to address something that they don't think is a problem. Things are shifting away from the end user having access to a file system. Chances are they will come up with a better way to manage your files without giving you any access to the underlying framework of the OS.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
Just think about those millions of people who have given away or sold their original iPads this month. Those devices are in the hands of a whole new audience who are having their very first taste of iPad. Moms, dad, friends, family, people who would never normally have bought an iPad, people who Apple could never directly reach with any kinf of marketting. I know many people who still find smart phones confusing and can't operate a computer. These hand me downs will change their lives. Our expectations are much higher than in 2010 but this magical device is still as magical as it ever was.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Why would someone rather be on iPad 1 then ipad3

I upgraded from an iPad 1 to a 3 on launch day (both were 64GB wi-fi). For sure, it's a really nice upgrade, but is it worth approx. $800 after tax and some accessories?

For what I use my iPad for (light surfing around the house, reading news and e-pubs, looking at family photographs and some music and podcasts) I decided it didn't wow me enough be worth $800. That, and the fact that my old iPad 1 was still fully functional - but now completely unused - seemed like such a waste. My kids have their own MacBooks, so they weren't much interested in inheriting it. So the iPad 3 went back to Best Buy. First time I've done that with a major Apple product.:eek:

I do miss the quick swiping between apps and what seemed like a clearer speaker (great for podcasts) but $800 is back in my bank and allocated to a couple of iPhone 5's later this year. I'm really looking forward to replacing my 32GB iPhone 4 for something with twice the storage. And if it has a slightly bigger screen (as some rumors indicate) it might become my preferred device both at home and away. I'd love to get down to one device - even if it means making some compromises.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
I upgraded from an iPad 1 to a 3 on launch day (both were 64GB wi-fi). For sure, it's a really nice upgrade, but is it worth approx. $800 after tax and some accessories?

For what I use my iPad for (light surfing around the house, reading news and e-pubs, looking at family photographs and some music and podcasts) I decided it didn't wow me enough be worth $800. That, and the fact that my old iPad 1 was still fully functional - but now completely unused - seemed like such a waste. My kids have their own MacBooks, so they weren't much interested in inheriting it. So the iPad 3 went back to Best Buy. First time I've done that with a major Apple product.:eek:

I do miss the quick swiping between apps and what seemed like a clearer speaker (great for podcasts) but $800 is back in my bank and allocated to a couple of iPhone 5's later this year. I'm really looking forward to replacing my 32GB iPhone 4 for something with twice the storage. And if it has a slightly bigger screen (as some rumors indicate) it might become my preferred device both at home and away. I'd love to get down to one device - even if it means making some compromises.

Wow. Ok. I mean if iPad 1 does all you need then great. You will miss out on iOS upgrades, miss the cameras, much greater ram and faster performance, the retina apps, 3yrs+ worth of app upgrades. I mean you could always go for the 499 model, sell you existing model and rest assured you have the cutting edge now and a future proof device for years to come. iPad 3 is so much more than faster swiping. Personally i think you should ride another yr out and hold out for iPad 4. The question of upgrading rests purely on whether or not your happy with current performance and clearly you're still happy with what you got

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
You cant tell the difference in the screen having four times the pixels. But you can feel how light the -50 grams is and the thinness of the half a mm? Posts like this make me sad for the world.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

After about 30 minutes my eyes had almost totally adjusted to the screen and It wasn't as much of a struggle to read text as at first.

It's weird how every little change feels so exaggerated going from 2 to 3 and then back again. As much as I like no. 3 there's definitely a lot I miss about 2.

So how did you find it going back to iPad 1 or 2 after a long time with 3?

by alot you mean the weight(.11 lbs) /size(all .03 inches ) and the heat? maybe the battery charge too?

doesnt seem like too much to me.

maybe you miss the 512MB of ram, .7 megapixel rear camera, 1024 x 768 display, and lack of hspa+/LTE too ;)

----------

You cant tell the difference in the screen having four times the pixels. But you can feel how light the -50 grams is and the thinness of the half a mm? Posts like this make me sad for the world.

2X as many, 1024 x 768 * 2 = 2048 x 1536

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
by alot you mean the weight(.11 lbs) /size(all .03 inches ) and the heat? maybe the battery charge too?

doesnt seem like too much to me.

maybe you miss the 512MB of ram, .7 megapixel rear camera, 1024 x 768 display, and lack of hspa+/LTE too ;)

----------

2X as many, 1024 x 768 * 2 = 2048 x 1536

I know those numbers are insignificant but do you think my hands have the accuracy of an atomic clock? I don't care what the paper stats are. After a solid year of holding the iPad 2 I can feel absolutely any difference. When I say it feel heavier it feels heavier when I say it feels thicker I mean it feels thicker.

Im not for a second saying it feels too heavy or thick but I definitely notice it. Are you saying you cant tell the feel of something difference that you've been intimate with when you're intimate with something new? I certainly can. Don't take my change of sensation as a complaint. I aint complaining about the sensation of something that feels like an upgrade.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I know those numbers are insignificant but do you think my hands have the accuracy of an atomic clock? I don't care what the paper stats are. After a solid year of holding the iPad 2 I can feel absolutely any difference. When I say it feel heavier it feels heavier when I say it feels thicker I mean it feels thicker.

Im not for a second saying it feels too heavy or thick but I definitely notice it. Are you saying you cant tell the feel of something difference that you've been intimate with when you're intimate with something new? I certainly can. Don't take my change of sensation as a complaint. I aint complaining about the sensation of something that feels like an upgrade.

i wasnt taking it as a complaint, just trying to figure out the lot of things you miss about it

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
The thing keeping me with the iPad 3 is LTE, unlimited for me on a grandfathered plan. It simply makes the whole iPad experience new, and usable anywhere. As for the weight, yes it feels a bit heavier and yes it is thicker. However I personally like the new feel and weight as it feel more substantial in my hands. I am 6'5" and have large hands so while the iPhone feels to small, the iPad 3 feels pretty dang nice to work on.

No I was not blown away by the screen, I like my iPad 2's screen and screen alone would not have sold the upgrade. 1gig ram, updated GPU imo makes a noticeable difference in performance.

Heat... not an issue, sure it's "warm" vs the 2, but nothing I wouldn't expect from a quad core GPU and a huge battery. The back is aluminum, as in a huge heat sink. Expected trade off, not an issue.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.