Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elfy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi there. I just got a new tv which has a USB port allowing me to play media from a USB flash drive. Is there a way to use my iPod Classic for this? Not a problem if not but it was just a thought that came to me, since I can use it as a drive when plugged into my iMac. The tv's a Samsung UE32EH5000.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Hi there. I just got a new tv which has a USB port allowing me to play media from a USB flash drive. Is there a way to use my iPod Classic for this? Not a problem if not but it was just a thought that came to me, since I can use it as a drive when plugged into my iMac. The tv's a Samsung UE32EH5000.

You could do it, but it'd put a lot of wear and tear on it. The video options on the iPod were meant to deal with movies that are custom tailored to fit the screen, and are very small in size - We're talking 120MB per 2 hours. It's designed to run smoothly when it's within that range. The current iPod Nano is the same specification too.

The disk use has always been there mainly for notes, calendar syncing, and the small chance that you needed to use it as a flash drive for documents. People used to use it in desperate times when they needed to re-install OS X from a copy of their installer or other means (FireWire versions only though).

I would suggest an external drive vs a flash drive. The sticks are not very good for running off of constantly either. You're going to wear it down very quickly.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I would even wonder if the tv would read the drive or if it can only read flash memory just a thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.