Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jun 16, 2013, 03:29 AM   #1
iPcdebb
macrumors newbie

iMac is unresponsive when iTunes is running

Hello all,

I have an iMac that seems to run flawlessly unless I open iTunes. It is extremely slow and freezes everything on the computer. If I close iTunes via the activity monitor, the system snaps right back into action. I've browsed many solutions and none work for me. (disabling genius, resetting pram or whatever it's called). iTunes is 11.0.4. I'm at a loss on what to do to fix this.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 08:07 AM   #2
FreakinEurekan
macrumors 68030

Which iMac, how much RAM, which OS X version?
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:41 PM   #3
iPcdebb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakinEurekan View Post
Which iMac, how much RAM, which OS X version?
it says iMac mid-2011, 4gb, mac os x 10.7.5 Lion

i've run several disk utilities that says the disk is fine
i've done a clean mac os install (erased drive first)
disabled itunes helper

everything was fine at first after the reinstall, then it went back to being very laggy and freezing up. it only happens when iTunes is open. if I force close iTunes, the system is fast and no problems. iTunes open, system is totally unusable. I've been doing any and everything I can since yesterday and nothing seems to work.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:55 PM   #4
old-wiz
macrumors 604

how big is your iTunes library? Is it all on one disk?
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:23 AM   #5
FreakinEurekan
macrumors 68030

Create a new user, switch to that account, open iTunes & create a small library. If the problem is still there, it's something in the OS or iTunes install. If not, it's in your iTunes library or existing user account.
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:20 PM   #6
iPcdebb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakinEurekan View Post
Create a new user, switch to that account, open iTunes & create a small library. If the problem is still there, it's something in the OS or iTunes install. If not, it's in your iTunes library or existing user account.
i removed the itunes folder then opened itunes so it can recreate a new empty folder and started afresh, didnt help. when in safe mode, it works like a champ, i was able to do just about everything i needed to except listen to anything
Old Jun 17, 2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Raima
macrumors 6502

What happens if you move iTunes to the trash, empty trash, then redownload it from the App Store?

Also do you have any apps that are related to iTunes? Like maybe something that downloads album art, or something?

Also how big is your library?

Last edited by Raima; Jun 17, 2013 at 07:45 PM.
Raima is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:10 AM   #8
iPcdebb
macrumors newbie

i've tried several different ways of getting fresh copies of iTunes installed. I even erased the disk and did a fresh install of the os. If there is anything related to iTunes running, I didn't put it there, it's got to be a stock app. My library is showing 655.1mb

I want to stress, everything on the iMac runs smoothly when iTunes is not running. At one point I had various applications running without issue. Soon as iTunes is opened, locks up immediately and is useless. If i reboot into safe mode, I can use iTunes. That convinces me there's a background app (probably related to iTunes) that is not acting right, but I just don't know what it is.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:00 AM   #9
beachmusic
macrumors regular

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2409
Maybe?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:32 AM   #10
MacAir47
macrumors newbie

I would increase the RAM on your iMac. 4 GB of RAM is not enough to run most applications. I suggest you go to www.crucial.com. This model can go up to 16 GB of RAM. If you go to www.macsales.com, they have a RAM kit that can go up to 32 GB.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:33 PM   #11
Nuke61
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPcdebb View Post
That convinces me there's a background app (probably related to iTunes) that is not acting right, but I just don't know what it is.
Have you looked at Activity Monitor before and after you start iTunes?
Nuke61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:40 PM   #12
marzer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
it says iMac mid-2011, 4gb, mac os x 10.7.5 Lion

i've run several disk utilities that says the disk is fine
i've done a clean mac os install (erased drive first)
disabled itunes helper

everything was fine at first after the reinstall, then it went back to being very laggy and freezing up. it only happens when iTunes is open. if I force close iTunes, the system is fast and no problems. iTunes open, system is totally unusable. I've been doing any and everything I can since yesterday and nothing seems to work.
So you did a clean reinstall of the OS but how did you reinstall your user data? Selectively? Or a full restore?
marzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 01:36 AM   #13
iPcdebb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke61 View Post
Have you looked at Activity Monitor before and after you start iTunes?
I did, but nothing was different

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzer View Post
So you did a clean reinstall of the OS but how did you reinstall your user data? Selectively? Or a full restore?
when i did a reinstall, I didnt "restore". Since I bought it used, I really hadn't put anything on it, so there was nothing to really restore. I just started fresh like i bought it brand new.

----------

out of the many things I had done, I had verified permissions a few times, and would get the same two notifications. the first one on the list bothered me. I had repaired the permissions before but it came back. I repaired permissions again tonite, verified again, that message did not come back. I opened iTunes and browsed around, opened my library, the store, etc. Has not frozen up yet. I rebooted , verified permissions again, the message about the group permission wasn't there, opened iTunes, and i've left it open for the last 10 minutes and no issues so far.

Now lets see what happens when I plug in my phone or ipad.....(edit: so far so good with both devices, will report back later to see if anything changes)

Last edited by iPcdebb; Jun 19, 2013 at 01:44 AM.
iPcdebb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 02:13 PM   #14
Nuke61
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I did, but nothing was different
Your Mac becomes unresponsive but it shows no rise in CPU usage? Wow, that's really weird. I've always seen system responsiveness show up in Activity Monitor somewhere. Unfortunately, you definitely have a stumper of a problem.

Have you looked at the Disk Activity tab, along with the System Memory tab, before and after the problem starts?

Last edited by Nuke61; Jun 19, 2013 at 02:24 PM.
Nuke61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 02:15 PM   #15
hancockr59
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAir47 View Post
I would increase the RAM on your iMac. 4 GB of RAM is not enough to run most applications. I suggest you go to www.crucial.com. This model can go up to 16 GB of RAM. If you go to www.macsales.com, they have a RAM kit that can go up to 32 GB.
agreed. things like this are usually RAM issues.
hancockr59 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 02:28 PM   #16
osiris24x
macrumors member

I'd recommend firing up Activity Monitor to see how much RAM and CPU iTunes is using while running. Also, what does Activity Monitor show under "Page Outs"? If that number is very high, then you're definitely running out of memory.

I have a massive iTunes library, but it only uses 163MB of memory or so, and 1.6% CPU while playing. So that should give you something to compare yours to.
osiris24x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 02:46 PM   #17
iPcdebb
macrumors newbie

the ram is fine, wont be replacing it here.

this is just the absolute wierdest thing. Since i've repaired the permissions, I have not had a single issue since. Activity monitor didn't show any huge differences that showed me what the culprit was which is what started the confusion in the first place. cpu usage was never high.

i've been throwing everything i can at it and it hasnt frozen up once.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac