Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emrbzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Canada
I bought an SSD for my mac, Can you give me a tip how can I transfer or Install new OSX to that SSD?

Because apple did not gave me any os x cd for reinstalling. How am I going to reinstall it to the SSD any help?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I bought an SSD for my mac, Can you give me a tip how can I transfer or Install new OSX to that SSD?

Because apple did not gave me any os x cd for reinstalling. How am I going to reinstall it to the SSD any help?

Either you clone your drive, or you reinstall the OS via internet recovery (using cmd-r on boot)

Either requires you have an external enclosure for the SSD.

Nov 28, 2010
located
No Mac coming with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion has physical restore media included.

OS X: About OS X Recovery

If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps:

As for copying the HDD to the SSD, use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! for that and format the SSD appropriately:

Last edited:

emrbzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Canada
No Mac coming with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion has physical restore media included.

OS X: About OS X Recovery
OS X Recovery Disk Assistant

As for copying the HDD to the SSD, use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! for that and format the SSD appropriately:

Thank you,

which means I can't install a clean OSX to new SSD without any CD. I can only copy my existing max os x with the OS X Recovery disk to the ssd I believe.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thank you,

which means I can't install a clean OSX to new SSD without any CD. I can only copy my existing max os x with the OS X Recovery disk to the ssd I believe.

I think you don't get the point, install the SSD and start up in recovery, from there you can install OS X on it, no need for a CD/DVD.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Thank you,

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Your computer has the ability to download and install OSX to a blank hard drive. Just read through my link or one of the others provided by simsaladimbamba.

As for restoring your applications and settings, you can use a time machine backup for that, if you have one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.