Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Top1Dog525

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2012
Florence, MS
I am using a MacBook Air, 13", Late 2010 Model. I am attempting to clean it up and get rid of a bunch of old movies and video files. I have deleted every movie and video file I can find, but in the About This Mac: Storage it is showing I still have 8.09GB of Movies. Does anyone know where it is that these files could be hiding? I have gone all through the iTunes folders, Movies folder and even search common video file formats via Finder... but to no avail. Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks :)

shwc

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2005
I am guessing that you imported your movies and tv-shows into iTunes at some point. if so, then the default locations are YourHomeDirectory/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Movies and YourHomeDirectory/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/TV Shows respectively.

The placement of TV and movies inside a music folder is very confusing. The fact that iTunes began its life as a music program likely has something to do with the odd placement.

SpetsnaZ99

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2012
UK
Have you tried simply searching for movie file extensions.
open any finder window and in the search bar at the top type ".mov". Repeat for different movie types.
Also a thing to note, applications can contain movie files, while normally they arent big in size they can mount up if you have lots of applications installed

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I blame Versions.

I remember than when my Macbook ran Lion, it had about 15GB out of 120GB free, when I wiped it and went with oldschool Snow Leopard, that ballooned to 85GB.

I used a program called "WhatSize" to show me what files were taking up space on Lion. Seriously, Versions is not for the hard-drive faint of heart.

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008
I have the same problem, have searched for several movie formats to no avail. About My Mac says I have 8GB of Movies but I KNOW I only have 1GB. Very strange..

Top1Dog525

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2012
Florence, MS
I have the same problem, have searched for several movie formats to no avail. About My Mac says I have 8GB of Movies but I KNOW I only have 1GB. Very strange..

This is exactly the same situation I am in. I have searched in every possible nook and cranny there is in the OS and still show to have 8GB of movies somewhere. Given that this is not hurting me space wise, but it annoys the heck out of me not knowing where they are or why it says I have that many movies... Tis a mystery! :D

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Storage it is showing I still have 8.09GB of Movies. Does anyone know where it is that these files could be hiding?
Try a Finder search, using the following criteria:
ScreenCap 2012-11-05 at Mon, Nov 5,9.13.22 AM .PNG

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

This is a bug in Mountain Lion. If you do a Spotlight reindex it will show the correct amount for Movies for a while, then it goes back to being off. Mine shows 18.45GB of movies. If I reindex Spotlight it will show the correct amount of about 1GB. Then a few days later it goes back to 18GB.

If you are not using Mountain Lion, just ignore me. :)

Top1Dog525

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2012
Florence, MS
This is a bug in Mountain Lion. If you do a Spotlight reindex it will show the correct amount for Movies for a while, then it goes back to being off. Mine shows 18.45GB of movies. If I reindex Spotlight it will show the correct amount of about 1GB. Then a few days later it goes back to 18GB.

If you are not using Mountain Lion, just ignore me. :)

You are very much correct. Just tried this and it began showing a much more reasonable amount of movies on my device, then restarted the computer and when I checked again it was back to the 8GB of movies. Glad that this is just a glitch and not me going crazy :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.