Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:49 PM   #1
iMacBoy
macrumors 6502

What SSD to get for 13" Late 2007 MacBook

I have a late 2007 MB and want to change the current 250GB HD to a SSD, is it easy to do myself and can someone link me to the right SSD's from a website UK based. Ta
iMacBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Emathieu
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacBoy View Post
I have a late 2007 MB and want to change the current 250GB HD to a SSD, is it easy to do myself and can someone link me to the right SSD's from a website UK based. Ta
I recently installed a Samsung 840 (non-pro) SSD in my 2006 MacBook, and it has been great. Super simple to install.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Dankex
macrumors member

I've been wondering If my late 2007 MacBook would take advantage of a SSD too. It is only Sata-I (1,5Gbps), so...is it really worth it?
I came across this, which should also give you some initial feedback: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

What do you guys think? Is it wise to get a Sata-II SSD for this old but lovely MacBook?
Dankex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankex View Post
I've been wondering If my late 2007 MacBook would take advantage of a SSD too. It is only Sata-I (1,5Gbps), so...is it really worth it?
I came across this, which should also give you some initial feedback: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

What do you guys think? Is it wise to get a Sata-II SSD for this old but lovely MacBook?
Yes, it would still be worth it IMO. Much of your day to day usage is accessing many, random small files, and an SSD is much faster at doing that, even over a SATA I interface. There are not many SATA II SSDs around any longer, and most I have seen cost more than a new SATA III drive. SATA is backwards compatible, so I would just get an inexpensive SATA III that is reliable like the Samsung 840 mentioned above.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:39 PM   #5
Dankex
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Yes, it would still be worth it IMO. Much of your day to day usage is accessing many, random small files, and an SSD is much faster at doing that, even over a SATA I interface. There are not many SATA II SSDs around any longer, and most I have seen cost more than a new SATA III drive. SATA is backwards compatible, so I would just get an inexpensive SATA III that is reliable like the Samsung 840 mentioned above.
Exactly as i thought. Thank you for that! Also, as SATA III is apparently the cheaper one, this would be a future-proof upgrade for the new MBP I'll be getting next year.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Dankex
macrumors member

Exclamation SanDisk Ultra Plus

Hello all once again.

I've decided to buy the SanDisk Ultra Plus because of the good reviews I've seen so far (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/3804...t-ssds-of-2013)

One question remains: is it SATA I backward compatible? This is confusing since I'm going to swap my SuperDrive and install a caddy to house the SSD in there. BUT the caddy converts PATA to SATA. So, will this SSD work? I know I won't see that big improvement, but still, I want it because I will have a new MBP in about 9 months and I will probably use this SSD there too (replacing the SuperDrive again).

Please help me out before buying it.

I can always house it in the original HDD slot instead, but I guess it is the same thing since that one is also SATA I...

EDIT: Amazon says it will work with SATA I. So it is safe to use it with a caddy like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-PATA-IDE...item3f1e783850, right? It looks like I will need the 2mm spacer Sandisk includes...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook