Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnhackworth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
UK
Hi,

I currently have a Mac Pro with two 23" displays. I often use the two displays in order to have two documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoin) open - one on each.

I am considering moving to a 27" iMac. My question is: Is a 27" screen large enough to sensibly see two portrait orientation Office documents?

This is clearly a subjective question so I'd welcome any opinions - especially from people who have moved from dual monitors to a single 27" one.

Thanks,

Julian.

MacMiguel

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2012
Hi,

I currently have a Mac Pro with two 23" displays. I often use the two displays in order to have two documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoin) open - one on each.

I am considering moving to a 27" iMac. My question is: Is a 27" screen large enough to sensibly see two portrait orientation Office documents?

This is clearly a subjective question so I'd welcome any opinions - especially from people who have moved from dual monitors to a single 27" one.

Thanks,

Julian.

You can perfectly manage two documents on a 21.5 inch screens....... Why do you need a 27"? Just for two documents? Do you need glasses? xD

liudekhua

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
yes, two documents scaled at 200% side by side.

but of course, coming from a dual monitor, you are essentially going down from 3840 (1920x2) to 2560 horizontal pixels (assuming both your 23" are 1920 wide).

johnhackworth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
UK
You can perfectly manage two documents on a 21.5 inch screens....... Why do you need a 27"? Just for two documents? Do you need glasses? xD

Yup. I do wear glasses. As I say, it's subjective, however *I* couldn't comfortably edit two documents side-by-side on a 21.5" or 23" screen.

----------

yes, two documents scaled at 200% side by side.

but of course, coming from a dual monitor, you are essentially going down from 3840 (1920x2) to 2560 horizontal pixels (assuming both your 23" are 1920 wide).

That's pretty good. My 23" will only do two A4 documents at 144% - which is below my comfort level.

skyenet

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Near Glasgow - Scotland
I find the iMac 27" screen great for two documents to a screen. I use Zinio a lot to read magazines and I find the screen is perfect for displaying two pages at a resolution I can easily read without any zooming.

kuhtang

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Ontario
Editing two documents on the 27" is totally do-able. It's one of the reasons that I went with that model.

It's nice to watch videos while writing too haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.