Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dduval

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
XBox 360: Skyrim - I know it was released late last year, but did many of you actually finish it in 2011? No other game since Bard's Tale on my C64 has managed to suck me in like Skyrim.

For me, it was The Witcher 2 Assassin of kings=enhanced edition. If you loved skyrim, this game will take you away...:)

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Been playing a lot of Far Cry 3, loving it. So it's definitely up there with Mass Effect 3 for me.

NFS Most Wanted is also high on the list!

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
For me, it was The Witcher 2 Assassin of kings=enhanced edition. If you loved skyrim, this game will take you away...:)

I'll definitely take your word for fact. I've heard nothing but good about either that or the first one. I have the first Witcher on my MBP, but it runs like a$$ so I haven't really played it.

For now, though, I just picked up all three DLC's for Skyrim during XBox Live's countdown to 2013 sale. Awww Yeah!!! :p

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

This was one my biggest disappointments, only because it felt like half a game.

It just starts to get interesting and then you realise what you thought must be halfway through the game is actually the end chapter and a really dismal ending chapter too, lacking in all the elements that had been so good up to that point.

Playing it I can't help but feel the developers just ran out of time or ideas, either that or wanted to get it out for release date with an unfinished product.

The game looked the part, had the drama, had the action, had the deep RPG system, and then ended it too quickly with level design that looked the shambles, had zero drama, had torturous repetitious action, and made no utilisation of the any of the RPG elements fostered through the rest of the game.

I havent played such awful final chapters in a game in a long while... Which was a real shame.

----------

Been playing a lot of Far Cry 3, loving it. So it's definitely up there with Mass Effect 3 for me.

Yeah Far Cry 3 is compulsive. I've finished it now, and it certainly is a vast improvement over Far Cry 2.

Re-playing Batman Arkham City on WiiU, I rarely re-play a game but doing so on this title it's a fab game and almost worthy of the title The Game Of This Console Generation. It does almost everything absolutely perfectly and has so much depth.

Last edited:

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Re-playing Batman Arkham City on WiiU, I rarely re-play a game but doing so on this title it's a fab game and almost worthy of the title The Game Of This Console Generation. It does almost everything absolutely perfectly and has so much depth.

When you say "this generation", do you mean
- Wii, XBox 360, and PS3 ?
or
- Wii U, neXtBox, and PS(more) ?

The Wii U, although it speccs out close to the 360 and PS3, is "next-gen", which makes the Wii U the only console currently on the market that can be considered "current gen", yes?

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005

is NFS Most Wanted really that good? I hear people saying its basically burnout paradise, but is EA so I'm hesitant to buy it.

My GOTY would be Mass Effect 3 and Ni No Kuni

I'm looking forward to playing Tales of Xilla 2

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
is NFS Most Wanted really that good? I hear people saying its basically burnout paradise, but is EA so I'm hesitant to buy it.

My GOTY would be Mass Effect 3 and Ni No Kuni

I'm looking forward to playing Tales of Xilla 2

EA is just publishing it, Criterion is the developer...

Very similar to Burnout Paradise!!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
When you say "this generation", do you mean
- Wii, XBox 360, and PS3 ?
or
- Wii U, neXtBox, and PS(more) ?

The Wii U, although it speccs out close to the 360 and PS3, is "next-gen", which makes the Wii U the only console currently on the market that can be considered "current gen", yes?

I really class the WiiU alongside Xbox 360 & PS3 technology wise / power wise. So yeah I consider it current gen albeit with benefits :)

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
I think it's easy to think of Wii U, 360 and PS3 as current gen for now, and think of PS4/Xbox 720 as the true beginning of next gen. However, as soon as both those are launched, the Wii U suddenly hops a generation ahead and joins the other two consoles to their generation.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Hotline Miami. Bar none the most fun I had with a game last year. Short and (kinda) buggy yes, but just amazing. Soundtrack to die for. Friends think "what the hell is this..." then end up addicted.

Followed by 2 way tie: Persona 4 Golden (P4 is top 5 games ever so yeah...) and FTL, which has me at so many hours of play.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I think it's easy to think of Wii U, 360 and PS3 as current gen for now, and think of PS4/Xbox 720 as the true beginning of next gen. However, as soon as both those are launched, the Wii U suddenly hops a generation ahead and joins the other two consoles to their generation.

I'll see the Wii U just as I saw the Wii, a generation behind with really poorly implemented online.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
My pick of 2012 was Flight Sim X with the PMDG B737NG addon (the FSX version). Just amazingly detailed and remarkably accurate in all respects. I flew that thing Sydney-Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane-Sydney-Melbourne so often.

I had it down to a fine art flying these following routes:

DCT WOL H65 RAZZI Q29 ML
DCT DOSEL Y59 SY
DCT SY H185 ENTRA Y245 BANDA H185 BN
DCT LAV H62 CORKY H12 SY

I'm awaiting the B777-200LR addon due soon. I'll connect the sound-system up to the computer and it'll be a pretty complete B777 experience. Can't wait to hear those big GE90s winding up - such a distinctive sound.

I can certainly say that I will NOT be flying that thing long-haul in Flight Simulator X! I refuse 17 hour flights. ;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Hotline Miami. Bar none the most fun I had with a game last year. Short and (kinda) buggy yes, but just amazing. Soundtrack to die for. Friends think "what the hell is this..." then end up addicted.

Followed by 2 way tie: Persona 4 Golden (P4 is top 5 games ever so yeah...) and FTL, which has me at so many hours of play.

Must pick up Hotline Miami one of these days.

----------

I can certainly say that I will NOT be flying that thing long-haul in Flight Simulator X! I refuse 17 hour flights. ;)

and you call yourself a proper 'sim' fan :rolleyes:

:p ;) j/k

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.