Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
$400 seems a bit cheap. My main concern would be how they got that picture if it's sealed in the box.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Of course it wouldn't hurt to call and meet in a Starbucks. Just ask if you can open it to confirm before purchase. If not, I'd avoid it.

haniel008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
do i still need to check the serial once i opened it and confirmed that its an ipad mini?

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
I sincerely doubt that this will pan out for you. If you have an email address that you don't care about (or use for these kinds of things), I'd inquire about it and ask why the ad contradicts itself and if he/she can provide more pictures. Worst-case scenario: you get an email telling you to go buy one on a penny auction website. Good luck! :p

Last edited:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
do i still need to check the serial once i opened it and confirmed that its an ipad mini?

You should be able to tell it is once you open it. Of course you can check the settings to confirm what size it is and if it is indeed cellular. (You can also tell it's cellular by the long plastic strip across the back of the iPad.) You can also cross-check the serial from Settings>About to the iPad box to make sure they match. It's very possible someone bought it and needs the money more than the amount put back on their credit card. It isn't unheard of.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Too many things about this are wrong. Pictures don't match description on multiple levels. Extra cable not in list. Smart cover not in list. Definitely not sealed. Smart cover looks grungy already. Either the pictures or the description are clearly fraudulent.

If it really is still sealed and with receipt, person should just return it instead of taking a huge hit. Seller needs to explain this and explain the wrong pictures.

There is no "factory unlocked iPad Mini that will work on any carrier", at least not with LTE. The model A1454 is for AT&T LTE and the model A1455 is for Sprint and Verizon LTE.

Something funky going on. Many funky things going on. Too many red flags. I would run away and not look back.

Edit: I just checked the price for this ipad including all of the accessories listed and pictured. It's over $800.00 worth of brand new stuff for $400. There is no conceivable way this story is real. Either it's a scam, it's stolen, or you are going to get robbed at gunpoint.

Last edited:

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
$400 seems a bit cheap. My main concern would be how they got that picture if it's sealed in the box.

Yup was thinking the same. ;)

Could always just get another picture from the internet, the picture isn't necessarily the exact one you're getting.

That being said, quite frankly you can find good deals on CL but I would worry about theft or scams..ESPECIALLY when it comes to Apple products. I personally wouldn't get an Apple product from CL.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I share the sentiment of many in this forum about this particular seller. Things are not liming up well. You can always do research and be savvy in buying on CL, tho. I got my 4S AT&T on the cheap last year from a buyer who was looking to unload his Christmas gift for rent money. I had him send me the IMEI and serial number, to which I ran warranty info with Apple and made sure it wasn't blacklisted with AT&T. Met him at a Starbucks with my buddy, inspect it thoroughly with my SIM, made sure the network worked, installed apps, etc. In essence, Craigslist can work for the buyer wonderfully - you just have to be savvy.

Make sure to check this out thoroughly, OP.

strayts

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
haha how can it be "SEALED" when the picture shows a clearly-used (although quite nice) smart cover? It seems sketchy, but who knows. Maybe they copy & pasted from another listing too quickly and didn't see the "SEALED" part (although it's kinda hard to miss...). Wouldn't cost anything but your time to meet them at Starbucks and check it out.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ele/3610327615.html

this deal is too good to be true right?
what do i need to do b4 buying one from craigslist?

thanks in advance

RUN AWAY.

There are plenty of deals on Craigslist, no need to get burned on this one. CL is loaded with scammers and douchebags but there are some good deals to be had too. Original packaging lends legitimacy, as does Apple care. It says that person takes care of their stuff.

You can look for scratches and a tripped moisture sensor too but I would suggest having the Genius Bar check it out. It's a nice public place and when I bought my 4S they did it free of charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.