Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coffee Minutes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
I need help making a decision.

I want to buy the new 2012 27" iMac but have concerns about the quality of the first few lots or batches. I'm not waiting for the next iteration (mid-2013?), but feel like a guinea pig buying the current generation this early.

Here's the BTO machine I plan to buy:

2012 iMac 27"
3.2GHz i5 (or 3.4GHz i7)
16GB
1TB Fusion
GTX 675MX

My main concern is that it's not yet been out in the wild long enough for wide-spread problems to have surfaced. New generation machines can be plagued with problems. This is a new configuration for the iMac, especially with the Fusion drive and the reported issues with assembling the screens. Evidently, the challenges faced with this attachment process has been the cause of delayed shipments.

With the demand for this machine and difficulties with the assembly process, I fear that the machines are not being built very well by the workers. They are still learning to build them to a high degree of precision and in time, I believe they will be built better than they are now. There is a learning curve to the assembly process and eventually, those who build these iMacs for a living, will build the latter ones better than the ones being built now.

Not only is there an issue with how well they are being built, but I think the workers are rushing to meet demand and this further causes the quality of the finished build to be less than perfect. When there is such a shortage, the workers are forced to work harder, faster and longer (OT) to meet demand, and this will directly cause quality to suffer under these conditions.

It would seem like a better idea to wait until March or so, to purchase the computer, when delivery times are closer to a few days and not a few weeks.

I am eager to buy this computer, but with AppleCare and sales tax, this machine is going to cost me $3,000.00 - a LOT of money for me. Right now, I am holding off, but it is painful to do so. I very much want this new machine in front of me ASAP!

Am I being a little OCD or do you think it is wiser to wait until the assembly and delivery is more streamlined and caught up?

Thoughts? :confused:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Likewise. No issues. Don't be fear-mongered by the small percentage of people with problems. I had a late-2009 27" iMac when it just had come out, and had no issues with that system either.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
If you are so concerned about problems chances are if you buy one, no matter how excellent it is .... you will find an issue with it.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
When people get bad merchandise, they tend to whine about it loudly on the net. And then others repeat it without knowing how prevalent the situation really is. This tends to make most issues seem larger than they are.

Also, at this point, any iMac ordered from Apple should be past any early manufacturing difficulties they may have had.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
There is no doubt that with time the process will get better. But, how bad is it now?

So far I've read problem such as...
1. speaker problem
2. screen ghosting/image retention
3. severe screen bleed
4. other minor problems.

It doesn't seem too bad to be honest. There will always be problems, but there doesn't seem to be an antennagate or a killer problem associated with it so far.

If you really need a new machine I'd order it now and hope you aren't unlucky and get a dodgy machine.

sounddesigner

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2012
If u need the machine now go ahead and get it because worse comes to worse u can always return it and get a new one if something is wrong

drewaz

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2012
Phoenix
I've been using mine for about 3 weeks ... nothing at all wrong with it. it's actually improved over time as the fusion drive figures out what files I use the most. The thing boots up in 15 seconds!

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I need help making a decision.

I want to buy the new 2012 27" iMac but have concerns about the quality of the first few lots or batches. I'm not waiting for the next iteration (mid-2013?), but feel like a guinea pig buying the current generation this early.

Here's the BTO machine I plan to buy:

2012 iMac 27"
3.2GHz i5 (or 3.4GHz i7)
16GB
1TB Fusion
GTX 675MX

My main concern is that it's not yet been out in the wild long enough for wide-spread problems to have surfaced. New generation machines can be plagued with problems. This is a new configuration for the iMac, especially with the Fusion drive and the reported issues with assembling the screens. Evidently, the challenges faced with this attachment process has been the cause of delayed shipments.

With the demand for this machine and difficulties with the assembly process, I fear that the machines are not being built very well by the workers. They are still learning to build them to a high degree of precision and in time, I believe they will be built better than they are now. There is a learning curve to the assembly process and eventually, those who build these iMacs for a living, will build the latter ones better than the ones being built now.

Not only is there an issue with how well they are being built, but I think the workers are rushing to meet demand and this further causes the quality of the finished build to be less than perfect. When there is such a shortage, the workers are forced to work harder, faster and longer (OT) to meet demand, and this will directly cause quality to suffer under these conditions.

It would seem like a better idea to wait until March or so, to purchase the computer, when delivery times are closer to a few days and not a few weeks.

I am eager to buy this computer, but with AppleCare and sales tax, this machine is going to cost me $3,000.00 - a LOT of money for me. Right now, I am holding off, but it is painful to do so. I very much want this new machine in front of me ASAP!

Am I being a little OCD or do you think it is wiser to wait until the assembly and delivery is more streamlined and caught up?

Thoughts? :confused:

It seems like you've already made your choice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.