Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:23 AM   #1
iskid
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
CPU on MP 2010 from W3550 to W3680

Hi! I've got a Mac Pro Mid 2010 Xeon 4Core 2.8Ghz (W3550) with 12Gb Ram 1066, XFX 6870 with an EFI Bios (instead of the 5770), and a Led Cinema Disp 27 (not thunderb)..

I'd like to get a W3680 (Xeon 6Core 3.33Ghz), 590 euro. I have to change my Ram also (1333 instead of 1066), 90 euro..

I need some advice: today is better to spend 700 euro to change the CPU (and give up USB3, Sata3 and Thunderb), or is better to wait any new Mac Pro (may be in Feb-Mar), whereas certainly buy the base model (2800-3000 euro)??

Thank's to all
iskid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Loa
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Québec
Hello,

There are no clear answer for your question. It depends on your usage. Is the performance increase worth the price for the year until we get a new MP?

Also, you don't need to upgrade your RAM: going from 1066 to 1333 is a negligible difference: don't spend a single dime on that.

Loa
Loa is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:15 AM   #3
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskid View Post
I need some advice: today is better to spend 700 euro to change the CPU (and give up USB3, Sata3 and Thunderb), or is better to wait any new Mac Pro (may be in Feb-Mar), whereas certainly buy the base model (2800-3000 euro)??
1. This implies we are for sure getting a new Mac Pro. We are going to get "something new" in 2013 that replaces the current Mac Pro, but no one knows what that is for sure.
2. What if 2013 means Nov-Dec 2013? Would you get your $$$ worth upgrading and getting a year out of the faster processor? I.e. would the faster processor make 600 Euro for you between now and then? What about resale value with the 6-core processor in a year?
3. Will a 6-core processor allow you to skip the 2013 model and wait for the 2014 (assuming there is a 2014)?


Just some stuff to think about....
__________________
MBP 8,2 15" 2.2Ghz w/ 120GB SSD + 500GB
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:22 AM   #4
iskid
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loa View Post
Hello,

There are no clear answer for your question. It depends on your usage. Is the performance increase worth the price for the year until we get a new MP?

Also, you don't need to upgrade your RAM: going from 1066 to 1333 is a negligible difference: don't spend a single dime on that.

Loa

Hi! Why you wrote "the year until we get a new MP"?

I heard new MP wil be availabe on Feb/Mar 2013, but today others told me "late 2013".. What do you think? Only 3-4 months or may be september-october?

Thank you for your advice about Ram, are you sure? Not bad save 100 euro
My Ram exactly is a kit: Kingston KTA-MP1066K3/12G. Do you think it can work at 1333??
iskid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:01 PM   #5
wonderspark
macrumors 68030
 
wonderspark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Fix up your current Mac Pro now, and use it now. Life happens today, not in the future, which may never bring a new Mac Pro.
__________________
Wait a second... So you're telling me anything that happens in the sky is legal, and there's a giant crime-blimp flying around this place? I don't know how I missed that.
wonderspark is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:18 PM   #6
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskid View Post
Thank you for your advice about Ram, are you sure? Not bad save 100 euro
My Ram exactly is a kit: Kingston KTA-MP1066K3/12G. Do you think it can work at 1333??
It's not that the ram will work or not at 1333, it's that you won't notice the speed difference between 1066 and 1333. The difference is incredibly small. Spend your upgrade money elsewhere, or save it.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:22 PM   #7
DPUser
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Yes, the RAM does not need to be upgraded. I have a 2009 4,1 I upgraded to 2010 5,1 with the Hex 3.33 CPU the OP is considering. I did not upgrade my 1066 RAM, and it still works great!
DPUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:33 PM   #8
DanielCoffey
macrumors 65816
 
DanielCoffey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edinburgh, UK
And you should consider... do you actually need the extra speed for work or do you just want it because you can have it? What are you using your MP for that is worth spending the €590 on?
DanielCoffey is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC