Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Honza
macrumors member

Tethering via Bluetooth vs. WiFi

Which do you prefer? I read an article on Lifehacker that said wifi had faster speeds, while Bluetooth connects faster and uses less battery. However, when I tried Bluetooth the other day, it seemed like I wouldn't get push notifications. It almost seemed like my iPad mini would only pull down data when I would load something, rather than have an active connection all the time like off of wifi. Also any experience on which is most convenient? I have an iPhone 5 so I do get LTE speeds, although Bluetooth seemed fairly speedy to me.
Honza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:21 PM   #2
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza View Post
Which do you prefer? I read an article on Lifehacker that said wifi had faster speeds, while Bluetooth connects faster and uses less battery. However, when I tried Bluetooth the other day, it seemed like I wouldn't get push notifications. It almost seemed like my iPad mini would only pull down data when I would load something, rather than have an active connection all the time like off of wifi. Also any experience on which is most convenient? I have an iPhone 5 so I do get LTE speeds, although Bluetooth seemed fairly speedy to me.
I use wifi. You're correct, when connected via Bluetooth, you don't get push notifications for iMessage and stuff. It's frustrating...with wifi, the connection only stays open as long as you're actively using it, so it might turn off if you leave it idle for a couple minutes. With Bluetooth, the connection stays open, but no notifications. Hopefully that's something Apple will fix.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad