Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc.garcia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Hello,

I've started to use iPhoto a lot. It is good for managing photos, but what about videos? Where do you guys store your videos? With the recent support for AHVCD videos, iPhoto now can represent a powerful place for storing all forms of visual data like photos or videos. Having everything in one place is very appealing!

What do you guys think?

netslacker

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
I've looked long and hard at this same question. To edit home video (from video camera or video from your still camera) you will want to use iMovie. However, as a "clip management" tool (like iPhoto is for photo management) iMovie utterly sucks at. For starters, nearly every single clip imported to iMovie is converted to AIC which takes its size to nearly 10X the original file size. This is just not practical for a clip management tool at all. However, importing to iPhoto leaves the clips as they are, saving tons of disk space over using iMovie. You can then access the clips from iMove too.

My iPhoto library is 139GB in size and I have no problem using it at all. However, I don't use face recognition either so to the other commenter, if that's important to you, then your mileage may vary. I also use Aperture for all of my serious work and keep home vids and casual pics (including iPhone photo stream) to iPhoto.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
iMovie is an App for video editing rather than storage and catalogueing, as iPhoto does for photgraphs, so it can hardly "suck" at doing a job that it's not designed for.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
iMovie is an App for video editing rather than storage and catalogueing, as iPhoto does for photgraphs, so it can hardly "suck" at doing a job that it's not designed for.

Werd. Came in to say the same thing. iMovie isn't a video management app.

rangers12

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2009
I had read about Usher as a video file management system- has anyone worked with this? Open to any other suggestions.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Bump! Anybody care to share his/her thoughts on this?
OK. I use iMovie to import and edit my camcorder footage. I generally Share/Export the edited footage to Finder and then delete the import.

I use iPhoto to import photos and video from my digital stills camera. I leave all of that in iPhoto. I then use iMovie to edit any of the video.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
I import all my camcorder footage into iPhoto and I put it into an Event that I have titled 'Video'. Straight after importing I title each piece of footage for easy reference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.