Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
With AirPlay mirroring, you can also stream everything from a Mac that meets certain requirements. So if you have a new MacBook and :apple:TV, you can watch stuff on your big TV that the providers don't want to let you see unless you're at a much smaller computer or pay for something like Hulu Plus. So if you don't own something like an Xbox with ESPN3 but you have a MacBook, with AirPlay you just brought all that stuff to your TV. Same with the free Hulu from the website and tons of YouTube and other video options.

Home Sharing quite simply is iTunes on your TV. The reason a lot of us bought :apple:TV devices.

Can you explain what you're talking about?

If my wife is watching her TV shows on ABC.com, she can mirror it to the TV? Is that what you're talking about?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Can you explain what you're talking about?

If my wife is watching her TV shows on ABC.com, she can mirror it to the TV? Is that what you're talking about?

If she has a computer that is AirPlay compatible, yes. Those models are basically the most-recent models of each line except for the Mac Pro. Here's a list of what is supported:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5404?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I have the 2010 model iMac, which I just paid off, so it does irk me a little bit to not be able to use mirroring. But that's life.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
If she has a computer that is AirPlay compatible, yes. Those models are basically the most-recent models of each line except for the Mac Pro. Here's a list of what is supported:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5404?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I have the 2010 model iMac, which I just paid off, so it does irk me a little bit to not be able to use mirroring. But that's life.

Thanks, my 2009 can't do it either. Oh well, not that important I could just hook up a cable, correct?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Thanks, my 2009 can't do it either. Oh well, not that important I could just hook up a cable, correct?

There are a number of Safari extensions which enable you to Airplay media (i.e. will let you stream a video/audio file to the ATV, but not mirror the entire screen to the ATV). Whether it works for any given site depends on a few things, particularly the format of the video - for ATV I presume it can only be .mp4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.