Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hackfix21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
I'm thinking of buying a Mac Mini. I'll still need an optical drive but am not so keen on the extra cable for the Mac AND the screen AND the drive. Does anyone have a recommendation for a screen (around 20-25") that has an optical drive built in (DVD RW non bluray)? Many thanks.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
I'm thinking of buying a Mac Mini. I'll still need an optical drive but am not so keen on the extra cable for the Mac AND the screen AND the drive. Does anyone have a recommendation for a screen (around 20-25") that has an optical drive built in (DVD RW non bluray)? Many thanks.

well, you're going to have to get over that because no such product exists...

Nov 28, 2010
located
What about getting a screen with USB hub and thus having three cables? Two cables (USB and video) from Mac to display, and one cable to the external optical disk drive (ODD).

PS: Even if such display would exist, you still would have had to use two cables, as current video standard interfaces do not transport USB signals (which would be needed in order to use the ODD in any form). And since only one Thunderbolt display exists (thus only one cable), your are out of luck.

Dan156

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
well, you're going to have to get over that because no such product exists...

True, but sounds like a good idea for a future product. Imagine a Thunderbolt monitor with built-in SSD and optical drive via internal daisy-chaining... technically it's possible.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
The technology exists, but the demand just isn't there. I'd guess that at least 95% of PCs still ship with an optical drive and the whole reason the Mac mini and other computers don't have an optical drive is because the industry as a whole is moving away from physical media.

There are thousands of monitor options out there that appeal to all sorts of consumers. Different sizes, different quality, price, etc. If you wanted to start selling monitors with an optical drive built in, you'd have to cover at least a small variety of those options, and even then your monitor is only going to appeal to a incredibly small niche market of people who need both a monitor and an optical drive.

Anyway, I think I found the perfect computer for you:

http://www.apple.com/imac/

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
True enough, but OP can buy either an older model or the new one with an external optical drive and still save himself some cables. (Get a backpack for the iMac and put the ODD there.)

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
probably more cost effective for you to buy an imac and an external optical drive. Or a previous model imac...

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Why not buy a tv/dvd lcd/led combo and hook the mini to that.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Televisions/TV-DVD-Combos/abcat0101005.c?id=abcat0101005

5088635_ra.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

Well that's great, except how will the OP actually use that DVD drive with his Mac? The televisions with DVD drives are only usable for playing DVD's. I assume that the OP is probably planning on interacting with the DVD drive (meaning loading software, burning DVD's, etc. etc.). I guess if all the OP wanted was to play DVD's this would work fine.....

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Since optical drives are prone to failure why would anyone want one combined with a display? When an optical drive dies in a MacBook Pro or iMac it is a difficult/expensive repair; when (not if...) the display optical drive dies you would be without a display while the drive is being replaced.

I'm glad that Apple is doing away with integrated optical drives. In recent years they have been a hardware weak-point; I much prefer an easy-to-replace stand-alone optical drive.

iWeekend

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Since optical drives are prone to failure why would anyone want one combined with a display? When an optical drive dies in a MacBook Pro or iMac it is a difficult/expensive repair; when (not if...) the display optical drive dies you would be without a display while the drive is being replaced.

I'm glad that Apple is doing away with integrated optical drives. In recent years they have been a hardware weak-point; I much prefer an easy-to-replace stand-alone optical drive.

While I can't comment on the iMac/Mac Pro drives, my 3 year old Windows laptop uses a standard laptop optical drive. Easy to replace. Easier than the SSD surgery some here have been successful at.

Hackfix21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
Some really interesting comments, thanks very much.

DVDs is actually pretty much all I'd need the optical drive for. I don't burn data onto CDs anymore (flash drive just as easy), and although I still have a couple of old games on that require installation from CDs that's an acceptable loss.

But would such a TV with built-in DVD drive just allow you to watch the DVD, or (more importantly) allow you to rip them to the computer? What I most need the optical drive for is whenever I buy a DVD or music CD I immediately rip it to the computer.

I do take the point that of course buying an iMac is the alternative. I've got one at the moment. One of the reasons for being interested in a Mac Mini is that we tend to move quite often so I like the idea of being able to move the Mini and the big lumbering item just being a £200 screen rather than a £1200 computer. Also it would allow me to upgrade the computer without having to buy a new screen at the same time.

I'll admit I probably hadn't thought this one through entirely - if I'm looking for flexibility between the components of a computer, having a separate ODD is arguably an advantage...

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
When a decent external drive (DVD-burning) can be had for about $30, why complicate the matter? If it doesn't meet your aesthetic standards then keep it in a drawer and plug it in when you need to. Problem solved.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Some really interesting comments, thanks very much.

But would such a TV with built-in DVD drive just allow you to watch the DVD, or (more importantly) allow you to rip them to the computer? What I most need the optical drive for is whenever I buy a DVD or music CD I immediately rip it to the computer.

No. and that's the point. A Build in DVD drive to a television will only allow you to watch a dvd thru the screen. You will NOT be able to interact with it. That's why my post directly after that explains why this isn't an option. Unless all you do is put DVD's into your computer to watch and do NOTHING else, this will not work for you.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
You could use some blue tack or duck tape or something to fix a cheap drive to the back of your monitor. The cable can be run next to the display cable, looking fairly neat. A slot loading drive would work best for this.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
You could use some blue tack or duck tape or something to fix a cheap drive to the back of your monitor. The cable can be run next to the display cable, looking fairly neat. A slot loading drive would work best for this.

Duct tape leaves behind a sticky residue that requires a citrus-based remover and it may not work well depending on the monitor. If you go this route buy some high-quality gaffer tape that doesn't leave a residue. (I personally wouldn't tape an optical drive to a monitor but it is a cheap and easy way to obtain a display/optical drive combo.)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
To the original poster.

Buy a "standalone" DVD/CD drive and be done with it.

You're NOT going to find a display with a "built-in drive" that works with the computer...

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
dvd drives are a thing of the past. much better to get a external blue ray drive. then you can watch / rip blue rays and they make 25/50 gb data disks so its great for backups. just tuck it in a drawer when not in use. I use a sleek slim blue ray buner / player and it still burns 25 gb disk in 20 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.