Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewMacHead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2013
So I got my iPhone 5 about a month ago and it has been working fine up until tonight. I was trying to call someone and I could not hear them on the other end. I continued to try until I finally turned speaker phone on and I could hear them. It was very strange that my ear piece speaker wasn't working considering I have not dropped the phone, spilled anything on it, etc. I did some research and found several threads and other sources about this problem. Problem being: none of these options worked (plugging headphones in and out, cleaning the jack, restarting music with headphones plugged in and paused it then pulled them out). I suspect there is a disconnect with the speaker because when I press the phone hard to my ear, the speaker will crackle to life! Is it worth trying to find an at-home fix or should I just take it to Apple or Verizon and have them replace it?

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I think you should just take it to Apple for a replacement instead of trying to fix it yourself and risk causing further damage that may void any warranty you might have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.