Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old May 12, 2011, 08:12 PM   #1
Dr Kevorkian94
macrumors 68020

take screenshot of itunes movie?

i want to take a screenshot of one of the movies i purchased from itunes, i know there copyright protected and that is why i cant from the normal grab or command-shift-4. but is there any way that you know of?

Last edited by Dr Kevorkian94; May 12, 2011 at 08:30 PM.
Dr Kevorkian94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Doctor Q
Administrator

You could use iChat screen sharing or another "remote desktop"-type program to view your computer from another computer, then take a screenshot there.
Old May 13, 2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Dr Kevorkian94
macrumors 68020

that is a good idea, however ill need a good connection so as to not reduce too much of the quality. thanks if there are more ideas keep um coming.
Old May 13, 2011, 02:57 PM   #4
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

IIRC, Skitch can take screenshots.

http://www.skitch.com/
Old May 13, 2011, 03:35 PM   #5
Dr Kevorkian94
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post

are u sure lol, i dont want to spend the money and not be able to take the screenshot i need from itunes.
Old May 13, 2011, 03:41 PM   #6
ghostlyorb
macrumors 6502a

are you wanting to "record' the movie? Or just take a screenshot of a frame in a movie. Please clarify...
iPad mini 16GB +AT&T
ghostlyorb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 04:41 PM   #7
Dr Kevorkian94
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlyorb View Post
are you wanting to "record' the movie? Or just take a screenshot of a frame in a movie. Please clarify...

just a screenshot, i said screenshot lol.
Old May 13, 2011, 05:36 PM   #8
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kevorkian94 View Post
are u sure lol, i dont want to spend the money and not be able to take the screenshot i need from itunes.
Get the free account. It will take screenshots; just tested it.
Old May 13, 2011, 05:36 PM   #9
Doctor Q
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kevorkian94 View Post
just a screenshot, i said screenshot lol.
I think the question about movie-vs.-frame came up because of your comment about reducing too much of the quality. Remote screen viewers should capture an exact pixel-by-pixel view of your screen. You would pause the movie, view the screen remotely, and capture it exactly as if you'd been on the target computer.
Old May 13, 2011, 08:12 PM   #10
Dr Kevorkian94
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q View Post
I think the question about movie-vs.-frame came up because of your comment about reducing too much of the quality. Remote screen viewers should capture an exact pixel-by-pixel view of your screen. You would pause the movie, view the screen remotely, and capture it exactly as if you'd been on the target computer.
that is great ill do it with log me in thanks for the help
Old Apr 7, 2012, 06:26 PM   #11
bigpoppamac31
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post

Skitch did not work for me. I tried it and it did not work for me. Any other suggestions besides screen sharing and such??
bigpoppamac31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:41 PM   #12
ericDylan
macrumors regular

Am I the only one that is able to take a screenshot of a paused movie on iTunes? I just did it and it is a pixel by pixel picture of the movie. It was fullscreen and everything.

Did you do cmd+shift+4 then space and then click? That is exactly how I did it and it worked.

edit: just kidding . The one I tried was a downloaded digital copy of Harry Potter that came with the DVD. I tried one from iTunes and it was blank. Nvrmnd
ericDylan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 04:10 PM   #13
iynque
macrumors newbie

Sorry to revive this thread, but…

The problem is not just "How do I take a screenshot?"

When you take a screenshot of a normal video playing in iTunes or Quicktime, you get a normal screenshot:

When you take a screenshot of a protected video file purchased from the iTunes Store, you get a screenshot with the video viewport "blanked out" and replaced by a checkerboard pattern (like you might see representing alpha transparency in Photoshop—"nothing's there"):

Purchased and protected files can only be played in iTunes or Quicktime, and you can't take screenshots (at least not by normal means). I think this is to prevent screen-recorders from making unprotected copies of the video, but it also prevents single-frame screen caps.

I also can't get a cap using screen sharing and another device; the video image isn't sent along with the rest of the screen. Clever Apple… This is the iTeleport app on my iPhone:

I have figured out that you can play the video on an iOS device and do a screen cap on that device (Press on/off & home at the same time), but it's a pain to have to send the video over to the device, find the frame again, capture it, and then get the image back over to my Mac.

There must be some way to take screenshots that doesn't use Apple's built-in method, which won't capture protected video. Are there any third-party screen capture apps that will grab the actual screen output, and not the censored Apple-approved blanked-out video? Just FYI, Skitch and Monosnap don't work.
iynque is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store