Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Ah, I remember well the first time I was at work and we were adding a tag to one of his commercials. The control room guys and I all had the same reaction:

"Who???" :confused:

And that look. One part Elvis, one part Guy Williams, and one part Colombian drug lord.

People would make fun of that yodeling voice, too, but really, I think most of us joked about Slim Whitman because those commercials suddenly showed up everywhere, as if we were supposed to know who this guy was.

Well, eventually we all did. :D

I'm not really mocking the guy. Hey, he found a niche and became a minor celebrity. (And he overcame a stuttering problem to do it!) He was probably more successful than you or I will ever be. Good on him!

Godspeed, Slim. I may never have shelled out for one of your albums, but you still gave me a few smiles, and you took the ribbing good-naturedly. Rest in peace.

Link

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Nothing says 70s daytime TV like a commercial for a Slim Whitman album or 8-track.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.