Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Dec 31, 2013, 08:17 PM   #1
trock8501
macrumors newbie

Airport Time capsule 3TB setup?

Hi

I bought one of these to back up my new imac. when i plugged it into my existing network it took it down since i had a netgear router already handing out DHCP and wireless etc and i didnt realize at first this device was also a router

i would swap it in for the old netgear but i have all my devices on the 192 network and apparently the airport is on the 10 network

is there a way to use this on my existing 192 network? or allow it to join my existing network

i would preferably like to swap it in to be the router but it owuld entail a ton of redoing a bunch of other hard coded devices and wireless setup

i looked for info on this but couldnt find much

alot of my devices are apple but alot are also windows PC's, and also printers, and access points hard coded to the 192 address. the access point is hard coded to the 192 address and its my main wireless point for wireless printing and devices to the internet etc

so suffice to say having the airport be a 10.x.x.x handout router is a huge pain. if it defaulted to 192.x.x.x i could just swap it in

any ideas or am i just stuck with it

thanks
trock8501 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Altemose
macrumors 68000

I think you can change the default address in AirPort Utility. However, you can sit it behind the Netgear and put it in Bridge Mode to make it work as a Bridge and use the 192.xxx range.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 03:50 AM   #3
priitv8
macrumors 65816

As Altemose said, your current problem is that you are running a double-NAT network setup. Switch the secondary device (TC) to bridge mode.
Did you use AirPort Utility's setup assistant? It should have found out that your Capsule is connected to a router already and set it up correctly in bridge mode.
priitv8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2014, 09:08 AM   #4
trock8501
macrumors newbie

Hi

thanks for the help all

no when i plugged it in the first time i cabled it to my main switch and when i walked thru the setup that popped up on my imac it didnt set it to bridge mode

and there isnt a lot of documentation or youtube i could find on it, especially when trying to integrate it into an existing 192 network.

the one thing i did find was bridge mode was pretty limited

my whole goal for this is to back up my Imac which is my recording studio device. and to provide a better wireless network for things like my apple tv?

thats really it

i dont need it to be the main router.

so you are saying i can plug it back in, go to the setup and select bridge mode and it will stop the 10.x..x.x DHCP routing and just allow it to receive a 192 address? thats great if so

and can i then still use it as a new wireless network for AT and also to time capsule my Imac?

thanks so much for the help
trock8501 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:00 AM   #5
priitv8
macrumors 65816

First: there is good and explaining manual available on the net:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUAL....5-Windows.pdf

It's a bit outdated (esp AP Utility-wise) but gives you a good overview of possibilities and various config scenarios. Most importantly - it explains why & when would you take the various paths.
Also, Apple Support has lots of info on AirPorts:
http://www.apple.com/support/airport/

And yes - if you switch the TC into bridge mode, it wil cease to be a router/NAT device (you can keep it being DHCP server but you should have just one on your LAN). So it basically becomes a dumb ethernet switch with Wi-Fi access point and disk attached. All local addresses will now come from your main router (NAT device), whatever address space they are set to operate in. TC will not take part in assigning IP addresses any more. It will operate as a Layer 2 switch (i.e using MAC addresses only).
There's not much limiting about it. Except for Guest WLAN, that one is impossible without being in NAT mode.

Last edited by priitv8; Jan 1, 2014 at 10:19 AM.
priitv8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:41 PM   #6
Altemose
macrumors 68000

If you put the Time Capsule into Bridge Mode it will do nothing about the addresses. It will transparently act between the Netgear and whatever else is on the end of it and will receive the 192.xxx range like you want.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals