Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvilHomer484

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Is it possible to play this on a Macbook pro retina? and if so whats the best way of installing it ?

is it best to use steam? or buy the actual game disk and install it on the MBPr ?

many thanks.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
yes it will work fine, just get it on steam. It uses steam for activation anyway so unless you can find the box much cheaper you may as well just purchase it on steam.

Installing a game from a DVD seems to take me about as long as downloading one so the difference is really minimal.

IvyP

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
iNeed help

yes it will work fine, just get it on steam. It uses steam for activation anyway so unless you can find the box much cheaper you may as well just purchase it on steam.

Installing a game from a DVD seems to take me about as long as downloading one so the difference is really minimal.

Hey SlickShoes,
I have OS X Version 10.8.2 Processor: 2.5GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 4 GB MHz DDR3, with English as system language and I would like to install Football Manager 2013.
I have this Warning: "Failed to find a default database to use. Please make sure your installation is not corrupt" :confused: and while it’s loading the following Warning: "could not find land_db.dat" :eek:
Please help me in order to have a successful installation?

Looking forward for your reply,
Ivy :)

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Hey SlickShoes,
I have OS X Version 10.8.2 Processor: 2.5GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 4 GB MHz DDR3, with English as system language and I would like to install Football Manager 2013.
I have this Warning: "Failed to find a default database to use. Please make sure your installation is not corrupt" :confused: and while it’s loading the following Warning: "could not find land_db.dat" :eek:
Please help me in order to have a successful installation?

Looking forward for your reply,
Ivy :)

Sounds like it's just a missing file, if it's installed via steam right click on the game in your steam library and choose to verify the game files, this should make sure everything is there and if its not then it should download the missing file.

If that doesn't work then you will probably have to try uninstalling and re-installing the game.

You could also check the steam FM2013 forums to see if anyone has similar problems to you.

tildesley

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2009
bit of a thread hijack, sorry!

if you buy the cd/dvd version does this need to in the macbook drive all the time, or is it install once & forget? i'll be running it on a macbook pro 2012 13" while travelling around so would rather save battery time

cheers

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
bit of a thread hijack, sorry!

if you buy the cd/dvd version does this need to in the macbook drive all the time, or is it install once & forget? i'll be running it on a macbook pro 2012 13" while travelling around so would rather save battery time

cheers

you dont even need to install it with the cd.

you take the code from the box, open steam, add game, insert the code, and then download from steam. you dont need the cd.

the daft thing is its far cheaper to pay a shop to post you a dvd and packaging halfway across europe, open it once to get the code, then have steam install it for you, than it is to forget about the disc, packaging, postage, shop profit and buy it from steam.

i bought mine as an online download from green man gaming for 32 euro. my friend bought his as a disc from amazon for 27 pounds, so about 32 euro also. we both then installed from steam. to buy direct from steam though, 50 euro. bonkers.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
I'll be buying a 15" Retina MBP in January, for anyone who already has one and plays FM 2013, how does the game look? Does it scale OK at native resolution or does it need to be run at a lower res and if so how does that look?

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
It would be foolish to buy the 15" retina in January when the 2nd generation 15" retina is coming out in March. It will be much improved. I will never buy the 1st generation of anything. And so many people have been complaining about so many things regarding the 1st gen retina. That's why I'm waiting untilthe March release

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
It would be foolish to buy the 15" retina in January when the 2nd generation 15" retina is coming out in March. It will be much improved. I will never buy the 1st generation of anything. And so many people have been complaining about so many things regarding the 1st gen retina. That's why I'm waiting untilthe March release

March release? Doubt it, as they only released them in June I'd expect it to be at least until next June before 2nd gen is released. Haswell is only rumoured to be released in the first half of next year as well, and it took Apple a couple of months after Ivybridge was released before they first made an appearance in Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.