Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:42 PM   #1
BilbooToo
macrumors newbie

Moving iTunes Database from PC to Mac Mini (Library on NAS)

Hi,

Finally taken the plunge and moved from Windows to Apple, with the delivery today of a Mac Mini.

Pleased with the purchase and just setting everything up, plus getting use to the kit.

I want to move over my iTunes database from the PC to Mac, however the library is held on a Synology DS213+ NAS.

Any ideas on the best way to go about this?

Thanks in advance.

John.
BilbooToo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:28 PM   #2
JoelBC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilbooToo View Post
Hi,

Finally taken the plunge and moved from Windows to Apple, with the delivery today of a Mac Mini.

Pleased with the purchase and just setting everything up, plus getting use to the kit.

I want to move over my iTunes database from the PC to Mac, however the library is held on a Synology DS213+ NAS.

Any ideas on the best way to go about this?

Thanks in advance.

John.
I just went through this myself...the easiest way is simply to drag and drop the iTunes folder on the music icon is iTunes in OSX...though I did have other issues this part worked flawlessly...
JoelBC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:53 AM   #3
BilbooToo
macrumors newbie

Hi JoelBC,

Thanks for the response.

Just to be clear, I point iTunes on the Mac to the same folder on the NAS as the PC iTunes, then just drag the files from the folder into the Mac iTunes?

What were the issues you experienced?

Thanks again

John
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:45 AM   #4
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a

There's a migration assistant in OSX that you can use to migrate from a PC on the same network. Just saying.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:12 AM   #5
JoelBC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hi JoelBC,

Thanks for the response.

Just to be clear, I point iTunes on the Mac to the same folder on the NAS as the PC iTunes, then just drag the files from the folder into the Mac iTunes?

What were the issues you experienced?

Thanks again

John
Careful here...the simplest thing to do assuming that you want to leave all of your music on the NAS is to:

1. Preference --> Advanced --> Point iTunes to your NAS folder.

2. File --> Add to Library....this will create the necessary links within iTunes so that your music shows up in iTunes...this is one of the ways in which iTunes for OS X differs from iTunes for Windows as in windows this step is NOT necessary.

Hope this helps...

Joel
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:50 PM   #6
BilbooToo
macrumors newbie

Hi Joel,

Just been trying yours suggestion but having a few problems.

On my PC the iTunes pointer to the music database looks something like...

//DiskStation/music

However when I point iTunes on the Mac to the same place it shows...

//Volumes/music

No music can be found, and can't seem to change the pointer to match the PC.

Any ideas?

Thanks
John.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:20 AM   #7
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a

Have you updated your DSM?

Just curious cause I just did and now I can't see my files from OSX finder
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:55 AM   #8
BilbooToo
macrumors newbie

Yep, running latest version of DSM. It's a DS213+ if that helps.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:06 AM   #9
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yep, running latest version of DSM. It's a DS213+ if that helps.
Yup this only started happening after the DSM update for me, I logged a ticket with Synology, lets hope they sort it.

Otherwise what you could try is enabling the iTunes server on the NAS and using that instead.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:01 AM   #10
orpheus1120
macrumors 65816

From windows to mac is a little tricky. If it's from mac to mac it is whole lot easier.

I have my iTunes library in my Synology 1812+. This is what I suggest you do.

If you have spare storage on your NAS that is at least as large as your iTunes library, create another new folder for a new iTunes media folder and start from scratch.

Point iTunes to the new iTunes media location, and consolidate and add the old media location to the new library. This way you ensure the the iTunes library file is fully updated, and all files are managed. After you have done this, you can delete the older iTunes folder.
orpheus1120 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:18 AM   #11
JoelBC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hi Joel,

Just been trying yours suggestion but having a few problems.

On my PC the iTunes pointer to the music database looks something like...

//DiskStation/music

However when I point iTunes on the Mac to the same place it shows...

//Volumes/music

No music can be found, and can't seem to change the pointer to match the PC.

Any ideas?

Thanks
John.
John:

Sorry to hear that you are having problems as I know how frustrating this can be....I would suggest the following which has always worked for me...

1. On your Mac delete the folder USER/ITUNES as it is not needed...

2. Restart your Mac

3. Mount your NAS share that contains your music

4. While holding down the OPTION key start iTunes...it will prompt you for a library...point towards your NAS drive and all should be good other than some of the cover art will not be imported which is a known bug with iTunes 11

Let me know how this works...

Joel
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:20 AM   #12
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelBC View Post
J
3. Mount your NAS share that contains your music
Joel, how does one mount the NAS drive on a mac? Assuming it's not like Windows.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:21 PM   #13
JoelBC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaunchpadBS View Post
Joel, how does one mount the NAS drive on a mac? Assuming it's not like Windows.
Mounting a NAS drive is the equivalent of connecting the network drive / share in Windows [i.e. the Windows equivalent of File manager | Tools | Map Network Drive | Specify Drive letter and Share Name]...

OS X process is Finder | Go (from the menu bar) | Connect to Server (i.e. will be in the form of smb://server name/share name where server name could also be the IP address) and voila...
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:13 PM   #14
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelBC View Post
Mounting a NAS drive is the equivalent of connecting the network drive / share in Windows [i.e. the Windows equivalent of File manager | Tools | Map Network Drive | Specify Drive letter and Share Name]...

OS X process is Finder | Go (from the menu bar) | Connect to Server (i.e. will be in the form of smb://server name/share name where server name could also be the IP address) and voila...
OK I've done this but when I option open iTunes and try select the library now on the NAS drive it says it's locked....?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:41 AM   #15
JoelBC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaunchpadBS View Post
OK I've done this but when I option open iTunes and try select the library now on the NAS drive it says it's locked....?
The only thing that I can think of is that the iTunes library is being accessed by another device or user...I would suggest making sure that no other devices or users are connected and then try again...
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:10 PM   #16
HOiYA
macrumors member

Permission errors after moving library to NAS?

I also have been trying to move my iTunes library to the Synology NAS. I have all the files copied over and have changed the location of the media library to point to the NAS (in the advanced tab of the preferences).

The error I am seeing is that iTunes cannot write to the NAS location: The iTuned Library cannot be saved. You do not have privilege to make changes.

I've tried chmod the NAS dir to 777 and still get the same error. Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this?
HOiYA is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store