Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smr21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
Hi all, fairly new to the forum and recent, first time iMac owner.
I am off work due to surgery and thought it would be a perfect time to transfer some old DV footage from a Sony trv900 into my new 2012 iMac and iMovie. I have hours of tape to look through to extract footage of an old friend who has passed away.
My dilemma is how to transfer between the trv900 and the iMac.
I have googled extensively but have not figured it out.
I am not sure if the camera, which Sony simply calls dvi, is firewire 400 or 800.
The specs on my iMac are as follows:
Processor 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB
Software OS X 10.8.4
4 - USB 3 ports, 2 Thunderbolt, 1 ethernet.
I see Apple has a firewire/Thunderbolt adapter but not sure if it is firewire 400 or 800.

Anyone ever find themselves in the same situation who might offer a solution?
Thanks for any help,
Jeff

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Check if your Sony has a DVD cable to go into your Mac. Go on the Sony Web-Page and get info on your camera to see if it is compatible.

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
You can pick up the Thunderbolt to FW 800 adapter and then use a cable (about $10-$15) to get the, 4-pin or 6-pin (FW 400) to the FW 800. Check out the attached image, i suspect you have a 4 pin port on your camera.

Attachments

• _FWIRE.gif
    _FWIRE.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 419

smr21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks boch82.
Yes it is a 4 pin on camera.
The reason for my hesitation is I have read of some people not having any luck daisy chaining to many connectors together, and I'm trying to avoid ordering cables/connectors and then trying to return them if they do not work.
I am certainly willing to try it out, but would love to hear from someone who has done this same setup to get their video onto their Mac.
They also make a cable with 4-pin FW on one end and 9-pin FW on the other which could possible eliminate one link in the chain.
Appreciate your post and pics!

smr21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
Just in case it might help someone in the future, I purchased a 9 pin Firewire 800 to 4 pin firewire 400 (DVI) cable, and the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter.
Hooked them up to my Sony TRV900, opened iMovie on my late 2012 iMac, and it works flawlessly!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.