Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
Itunes 11.0.2 has started stuttering during playback on my laptop, with no other applications open, Intel P6100 processor, 3GB Ram, and yesterday lost my entire library, playlists, the lot and had to retrieve it from a backup losing around 2 months of work on my library. The stuttering starts at the beginning of playback when the library file is being altered to register playcounts, and is leaving loads of temp files in the itunes folder which is something its never done before also. Going into windows task manager and changing the priority on itunes.exe to high seems so semi cure the stuttering playback, but was running it like this when the library disappeared so cannot be a permanent fix as I've never had to do it before. Reading around the web it's like itunes is struggling to update the database file as it may have been corrupted somehow - if that's the case what do I do? Re-installing won't cure the problem as I'll still retrieve the same backup files to preserve my playlists (60+), star ratings (every one of my 13500 songs are rated), etc. Never had this problem in 10 years of using itunes, seriously hacked off!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The problem here is you don't backup regularly, it's not iTunes fault, it is your own mistake.

But, are you using windows on the Mac or what, seems like you are on a PC, if that is the case it's posted in the wrong section.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
The problem here is you don't backup regularly, it's not iTunes fault, it is your own mistake.

But, are you using windows on the Mac or what, seems like you are on a PC, if that is the case it's posted in the wrong section.

I've been posting about itunes on windows loads in this forum - it is a Mac Application after all, and I do back up regularly but I can't back up a 100GB library it every day! The problem i've suffered IS an itunes problem, sod all to do with backing up, which, no thanks to you I have now solved, why type anything in response if you don't intend on being helpful?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You don't need to backup 100 GB every day, or do you download that much, if you only have a few songs added to the Library and a decent Backup Application it would be finished in Minutes, most of it scanning and comparing and a few seconds to copy the new content.

On the Mac side such an App is CCC, wonderful App, I bet there are similar Apps on the Windows side.
Or, what most people use is TimeMachine, it will keep a recent Partly backup even when the backup HD is not connected.

I didn't want to be harsh, I just want you to realise you need a better backup plan, you said in your first post you lost a lot, well, I said that it was your mistake, if you backed up every day or even several days the damage was less than now.
Your last backup was Months ago, way too long in your case.

Sometimes problems arise, no Application is perfect, and I can tell you that Mac Apps are overall much better/more stable than on the Windows side although the quality is suffering (on the Mac side) a bit lately.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
I'm normally very vigilant when it comes to backups, I've got a copy of my library on my 250GB portable, 2x PC laptops and 2x copies of it on my Mac at work but I've just moved house and hadn't done it in a while, I download between 10 and 50 tracks a week. My problem was I thought the database file was corrupted, in which case backing it up then would have made no difference. Obviously a backup program of some type would suit my needs, something I've never really looked into as I've usually just once every week or 2 just dragged and dropped onto my portable drive, then copied it over to the other machines

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Poor guy is looking for help or an explanation and all hes getting is criticism of his back up plan.If i could help i would but i refuse to move up to Itunes11 because of threads like this one

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
Poor guy is looking for help or an explanation and all hes getting is criticism of his back up plan.If i could help i would but i refuse to move up to Itunes11 because of threads like this one

Cheers for that. I seem to have solved the problem - since the 11.0.2 update there's been an extra option in the 'playback' section in the preferences, mine was set to 'Direct Audio' and I changed it to the Windows option and everything is back to normal, nor more stuttering or .tmp files, I still had all the physical files so it was a simple matter of restoring from my last backup then adding the files I'd downloaded since and re-rating them etc. Took an entire day, but my library is back to full speed and has been backed up!

Mr Fish

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
Dublin
There really is nothing wrong with iTunes 11. It hasn't lost any features, it is a little cleaner looking, and - on my system at least - performance seems smoother.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
There really is nothing wrong with iTunes 11. It hasn't lost any features, it is a little cleaner looking, and - on my system at least - performance seems smoother.

I like 11 now after the latest update, now they've fixed the crossfade thing, the performance seems to be slightly better than v10, it's defo quicker to open, I think the 'up next' feature is excellent and really makes it easier making an on-the-fly list when I've got people round, the rest of it I've made it look like v10 with the sidebar etc, and don't get me started on the icloud part of it - I've deactivated it in my preferences. I only use list view I couldn't give a monkey's about the album artwork or the other views available. Now if they'd just stop playlists defaulting to the top when you're switching between them I'd be 100% happy with it.

The instability problem I've suffered is probably something quite isolated to me or there would be libraries going down all over the place!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.