Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Apr 25, 2013, 01:30 PM   #1
skiracer8148
macrumors member

Apple Specifications Database?

Hello everyone I am doing a project for college and need to make a phpmyadmin database of all apple product specifications. I am having a hard time finding this database. I have emailed many websites and also mactracker creator to try and obtain the database. No one has gotten back to me. Anyone have any ideas on how or where I can get a database?
skiracer8148 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 01:34 PM   #2
maflynn

No one is going to give you a database that contains all of the specifications. You'll need to do the legwork yourself.

Check out wikipedia, everymac and apple-history. You should be able to see the models and create your own database
Old Apr 25, 2013, 01:41 PM   #3
skiracer8148
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
No one is going to give you a database that contains all of the specifications. You'll need to do the legwork yourself.

Check out wikipedia, everymac and apple-history. You should be able to see the models and create your own database
I know they probly think im gonna compete with them, But it's honestly only for a school project. The data is easy to find but I don't wanna waste weeks doing data entry when I can use someone elses database.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 01:50 PM   #4
yg17
In Time-Out

So in other words, you want someone else to do your homework for you.
yg17 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 01:55 PM   #5
skiracer8148
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yg17 View Post
So in other words, you want someone else to do your homework for you.
My homework is not building a database, My teacher tells us to use a database thats already built and not to waste time on data entry. My project is more of building a website and using MYSQL/PHPMYADMIN.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:07 PM   #6
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiracer8148 View Post
I know they probly think im gonna compete with them, But it's honestly only for a school project. The data is easy to find but I don't wanna waste weeks doing data entry when I can use someone elses database.
Well reach out to those people and see, but to be honest, I don't think any organization will hand out their specification database. For instance EveryMac's claim to fame is the database that holds all the mac models. Thy spent a lot of time and money compiling and entering the information. They're not about to give it away.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 03:21 PM   #7
hwojtek
macrumors 6502a

Talk to the developers of the MacTracker.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:35 PM   #8
macalec
macrumors 6502

No one will give you their database- that is proprietary information that took them in some cases years to develop. I would create a simple database, and then just copy and paste the data from apps/sites like mac tracker or mac history.
macalec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:47 PM   #9
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiracer8148 View Post
My homework is not building a database, My teacher tells us to use a database thats already built and not to waste time on data entry. My project is more of building a website and using MYSQL/PHPMYADMIN.
So, you can use any database then? Why don't you go download any number of public databases? You could download dbSNP.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 01:06 PM   #10
skiracer8148
macrumors member

Thanks for the insight guys, I guess I will make a simple database and just copy and paste the info I need. I can focuse on macbook pro and macbook air.
Old May 1, 2013, 05:58 AM   #11
jafingi
macrumors 65816

1) phpMyAdmin isn't a database
2) No such databases exists. However, you could probably screen scrape Wikipedia for Apple products and their specs (Wiki has specs on almost every product - past and present).
Old May 2, 2013, 11:41 AM   #12
AdrianK
macrumors 68020

It wouldn't be too hard to parse everymac, just tedious.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion