Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scirroco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Please forgive my ignorance relating to my questions, but I am new to networking and Google has not been my friend on the subject.

There is a small, home-run business, with 4 iMacs and 1 MacBook Pro, each with Snow Leopard. Each computer is a clone of the other and data is transferred manually between the other when necessary.

I think I want to have a server (Mac Mini with Server OS X) to drive everything and enable the MacBook Pro to access it away from the house.

1. Is there, on MacRumors, a Sticky that gives a step-by-step, idiot-proof, guide on how to configure the server and computers? I could not find one. If there is not a MacRumors post, do you know of a good link that you could recommend?
2. What I want is to have all of the data stored on the server, accessible by all users on the 5 computers. Is this possible?
3. Is it possible to have all of the apps installed on the server only, available to all users on their computers, with simultaneous access to the data (mostly MS Word and Excel, Pages, Numbers, Adobe CS5 Photoshop and InDesign)?
4. If (2) is possible, would I need to get special, network or server, editions of the apps?

Again, sorry for all ignorance, but please help/advise?

Thank you.

Kasalic

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2011
1. Is there, on MacRumors, a Sticky that gives a step-by-step, idiot-proof, guide on how to configure the server and computers? I could not find one. If there is not a MacRumors post, do you know of a good link that you could recommend?

Not that I am aware of, but I could be wrong.

2. What I want is to have all of the data stored on the server, accessible by all users on the 5 computers. Is this possible?

Certainly, and it would be a lot easier than what you are currently doing.

3. Is it possible to have all of the apps installed on the server only, available to all users on their computers, with simultaneous access to the data (mostly MS Word and Excel, Pages, Numbers, Adobe CS5 Photoshop and InDesign)?

Not the apps, and you cannot have simultaneous access to data. Once a file is open on one Mac, any others will only be able to open it as a Read Only file. In addition to this, Adobe software in particular does not like running from network shares.

4. If (2) is possible, would I need to get special, network or server, editions of the apps?

I take it you mean 'If (3) is possible? If so, then no there is not special network editions.

Not sure where in the world you are, however I would suggest you look for a member of the Apple Consultant Network, http://consultants.apple.com/uk/ for example.

Scirroco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Thank you very much.
You got the 2=3 typo correct and also the assumption that I am in the UK. Your comments were all very helpful and I have identified a local Consultant to go and have a chat about all of this.
Thanks again and have a good weekend!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.