Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J InTech82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Not sure if this is the proper place for this question but I purchased a video camera that utilizes SSD drives and I need to upgrade the firmware. Does anyone how I would go about doing this external SSD on my Mac? :confused:

J InTech82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Brand name SSD? Look it up on their support pages online. They usually have there even the latest driver updates for you.

It's the Crucial 512GB M4 SSD 2.5" and I have already looked on the page, hence why I am asking here. This unit is not inside my Mac, rather an external drive that I am going to be using with a video camera.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
It's the Crucial 512GB M4 SSD 2.5" and I have already looked on the page, hence why I am asking here. This unit is not inside my Mac, rather an external drive that I am going to be using with a video camera.

I would not even touch the firmware unless the current version has a well known bug or problem that needs ASAP care. Otherwise, why fiddle with the firmware? You may (not saying it will) end up with a brick.

If it ain't broke....

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Is the "external drive" connected via USB, firewire, or thunderbolt?

If it's a USB drive, you probably are NOT going to be able to update the firmware so long as the drive is in a USB enclosure.

I will take a _guess_ that most (if not all) utilities to update firmware are "looking for" a drive that's mounted internally (connected to the SATA bus). They just aren't programmed to "find" a drive mounted in a USB enclosure.

Probably the same for firewire.

I believe that if the drive is in a thunderbolt enclosure, _some_ utilities might work (they will "see" the drive as being attached to the PCI bus?).

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
usually you have to use a Windows Machine.

On my samsung 820 I used the included USB to SATA, installed the software on my gf Lenovo laptop, and updated.
Then all is fine.

If you need to do it again after you installed OS X and used the drive it means you have to erase the disk, since it needs to be in a Windows File Format, unfortunately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.