Google Now is cool as ******, can Apple match it? - Page 4 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:21 PM   #76
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by walie View Post
And yet this happened...did everyone forget?

http://bgr.com/2011/04/20/apple-reco...d-users-video/
So does Android. Except no one seems to be outrage about it.

How do you think Google Now knows where you work and where your home is?



----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
Apple:

iTunes/Apple Store credentials
Siri
Apple Maps
iAd
iCloud Mail
iOS
Siri search
Ping... oops that failed.




Michael
What Apple knows about you is not even close to what Google knows.

Google Play
Google Voice Search
Google Cloud
Google Docs
Google Ad Network (DoubleClick)
Google Wallet/Checkout
Google Voice
Google Maps
Google Analytics
Google Mail
Google Android
Google Search
Google Plus
Google YouTube

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
AGGREGATED, this is the word. Please, read what you quote.

Please read what you wrote:

"No data is shared with 3rd parties"
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:38 PM   #77
The iGentleman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
Thanks. But from what I read from Apple's ToS, it is essentially the same thing. That is why I was hoping someone could provide some specifics. On paper, the ToS are so similar that I personally cannot conclude that Google is any worse (or better) than Apple in these cases, except for the fact that Google provides many more services than Apple, so where Apple is logging a certain set of data, third parties (through apps) are logging the rest.
I don't have any intimate knowledge of Apple's data security procedures so there isn't much I can say about them. I only know what Google does and doesn't do with user data, and the measures that are taken to protect it.
The iGentleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:41 PM   #78
walie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
So does Android. Except no one seems to be outrage about it.

How do you think Google Now knows where you work and where your home is?
Google told you, Apple didn't.
walie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:58 PM   #79
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PremiÓ de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Please read what you wrote:

"No data is shared with 3rd parties"
If you don't read what you link you have to read at least the rest of the thread.
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:43 AM   #80
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
If you don't read what you link you have to read at least the rest of the thread.
Just admit you are wrong. Stop digging a hole for yourself.

You clearly said "No data is shared with 3rd parties" and now you don't have the guts to admit you were wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
Anonymous data such as demographic information and such, is shared with third parties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
No data is shared with 3rd parties
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:41 AM   #81
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PremiÓ de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Just admit you are wrong. Stop digging a hole for yourself.

You clearly said "No data is shared with 3rd parties" and now you don't have the guts to admit you were wrong.
No ****ing individual data, anonymously or not is shared. And no, AGGREGATED data doesn't count because it can't track or say nothing about individuals
__________________
There are four kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, statistics, and analyst projections.

Last edited by dejo; Dec 13, 2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Circumventing profanity filter / off topic remark.
Oletros is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:44 AM   #82
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Maybe apple should just allow Google Now on the iPhone just like they did with Google Maps.
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:42 AM   #83
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
No ****ing individual data, anonymously or not is shared. And no, AGGREGATED data doesn't count because it can't track or say nothing about individuals
Still won't admit you are wrong eh?

Let me guess. You weren't wrong, you just mispoke.

You don't really mean "No data is shared with 3rd parties".

Why don't you read the Google Privacy Policy.

http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/

"We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google..."

Want to try again? Or do you still want to keep digging a deeper hole for yourself?


I find it funny how you go out of your way bashing everyone who doesn't think Google is God or a Saint. Didn't realize the sub forum is about Google worshipping.

Last edited by dejo; Dec 13, 2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Quoted post edited.
hyteckit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:00 AM   #84
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PremiÓ de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Still won't admit you are wrong eh?

Let me guess. You weren't wrong, you just mispoke.

You don't really mean "No data is shared with 3rd parties".

Why don't you read the Google Privacy Policy.

http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/

"We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google..."

Want to try again? Or do you still want to keep digging a deeper hole for yourself?

The one digging a hole is you. Read the fracking thread and you will se what I have said and no what your are claming I have said

Last edited by dejo; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Removed name-calling.
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:04 AM   #85
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
The one digging a hole is you. Read the fracking thread and you will se what I have said and no what your are claming I have said
What part of "We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google..." don't you understand?

It's in Google Private Policy.

Read the freaking thread and Google's Private Policy.

First you say "No data is shared with 3rd parties"

Then you pretend you mispoke and said "No ****ing individual data, anonymously or not is shared."

What's next? Still can't admit you are wrong?

Still can't admit Google shares information with 3rd parties?

Last edited by dejo; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Quoted post edited.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:10 AM   #86
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PremiÓ de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
What part of "We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google..." don't you understand?

It's in Google Private Policy.

Read the freaking thread and Google's Private Policy.

First you say "No data is shared with 3rd parties"

Then you pretend you mispoke and said "No ****ing individual data, anonymously or not is shared."

What's next? Still can't admit you are wrong?
Information we share

We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Google unless one of the following circumstances apply:

Google only share when YOU say that they have to share.

Last edited by dejo; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Quoted post edited / removed off-topic bickering.
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:14 AM   #87
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Information we share

We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Google unless one of the following circumstances apply:

Google only share when YOU say that they have to share.

So your third try is Google does share personal information if you agree.

Oletros 3 tries:
1. "No data is shared with 3rd parties".
2. "No ****ing individual data, anonymously or not is shared."
3. "Google only share when YOU say that they have to share."


Haha.. hilarious how you are wrong and can't admit it.

Last edited by dejo; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Quoted post edited / circumventing profanity filter.
hyteckit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:24 AM   #88
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
What Apple knows about you is not even close to what Google knows.

Google Play
Google Voice Search
Google Cloud
Google Docs
Google Ad Network (DoubleClick)
Google Wallet/Checkout
Google Voice
Google Maps
Google Analytics
Google Mail
Google Android
Google Search
Google Plus
Google YouTube
So because Google has more web products, many of which are popular, that means they are bad and Apple is good because they have less? Uh Okay.

Personally, I think Apple's web efforts have sucked (Siri and other offerings still go down regularly). I would not trust Apple to keep things secure compared to Google. Not out of maliciousness on Apple's part, but rather being out of their element.




Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:26 PM   #89
bmt134
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
App just got updated. One new feature is that it can listen to and identify songs. Looks like I'm uninstalling Shazam and Soundhound.

I love how this app gets constantly updated unlike siri
bmt134 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:38 PM   #90
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
So because Google has more web products, many of which are popular, that means they are bad and Apple is good because they have less? Uh Okay.
Seriously. Google maps, search, youtube, earth, gmail, chrome, translate, drive are all some of the top downloaded apps in itunes. Clearly, iPhone users aren't concerned and some are making it out to be bigger then it actually is.
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:45 PM   #91
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmt134 View Post
App just got updated. One new feature is that it can listen to and identify songs. Looks like I'm uninstalling Shazam and Soundhound.

I love how this app gets constantly updated unlike siri
That's because Siri isn't an app...it's a service and framework. It's server side so the updates are on the backend.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:41 PM   #92
bmt134
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
That's because Siri isn't an app...it's a service and framework. It's server side so the updates are on the backend.
So it is an infrequently updated, under-featured service. If all Apple has is semantics, then they are screwed.
bmt134 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:55 PM   #93
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmt134 View Post
So it is an infrequently updated, under-featured service. If all Apple has is semantics, then they are screwed.
What exactly is there left? Semantics are everything. So long as they semantic engine understands what the vast majority of people are asking about then it's downhill from there in terms of complexity.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:30 PM   #94
Eddie Bombay
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Google Now is amazing. Love the what song is playing thing it has. Built in Shazam.
__________________
Samsung Series 9 11.6" Notebook | Galaxy S III | Asus Transformer Prime
Apple TV 2nd Gen | iPod Touch 4th Gen
64GB iPad Mini | iPad 2 - 32GB AT&T
Eddie Bombay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:33 PM   #95
strausd
macrumors 68030
 
strausd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
Maybe apple should just allow Google Now on the iPhone just like they did with Google Maps.
The closest thing you can get to it now is the Google app where you can get some pretty decent voice search results. It is somewhat conversational, but not at the level of Siri.

Unfortunately, getting the real Google Now on iPhone would require Apple to open up their OS a little more, which doesn't look to be happening anytime soon.
strausd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:14 PM   #96
raf66
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
I'm all for competition as it forces the players to innovate to stay even or move ahead. However, I can't think of ANY instance where I would want a phone (or any computerized gadget) to be able to essentially read my mind and act as a surrogate HUMAN personal assistant (or heck, act as a surrogate ME). Have we become so lazy that we want gadgets to predict/monitor everything that's going on in our lives?

And I know it's fun to mock the "conspiracy theorists" out there, but have you ever just taken a step back and objectively looked at the information we've entrusted to online software giants who we absurdly think have our best interest, privacy and confidentiality at heart? I mean, we're the same nation that just a few years ago was so up in arms about receiving telephone solicitations on our home phones that the government set up a program so we could opt out of that "invasive" practice. Now we want some online mega-company to go through all of our stuff to find out what we like/need/do and where we go and when and with whom?

Folks I don't care what these companies say about whether they retain personal information on us and if so, how much and for how long. What matters is that someone other than us has this information and THAT someone is subject to court/government subpoena power and instances of blind greed by selling the info to the highest bidder. Not to mention someone taking it surreptitiously by hacking.

You guys want a handheld cyborg that stores personal information about us and those who communicate with us both on and off-site and then, after reviewing and analyzing our personal information, uses artificial intelligence to tell us what's going on in our lives?

Sheesh, I thought criminalizing biggie-sized sodas while legalizing drugs was off the chart, now comes this.

<Gets down off soapbox and puts on tinfoil hat>
__________________
20" Aluminum iMac with Mountain Lion, 2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 32gb black/slate iPhone 5
raf66 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:26 AM   #97
Irishman
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
The one digging a hole is you. Read the fracking thread and you will se what I have said and no what your are claming I have said
No, he's right. I've been reading this thread, and for the past few pages, it's become quite patent that you are embarassing yourself.

If you admit your mistake, we can heal and move on.
Irishman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:59 AM   #98
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a
 
ReanimationN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
Not really a big fan yet of Google Now, but I do like the sports notifications.
I wish it worked for Australian sports. Google Now thinks I'm a fan of the Oakland Raiders, after I made a few searches for Canberra Raiders results. Siri sucks for it as well, even after Apple specifically advertised Siri featuring sports integration in Australia. If you search for Rugby League scores, Siri says something along the lines of wishing she knew more about Rugby. Great stuff Apple. Google Now, like Siri, also only works with American sports, and maybe a couple of English competitions. Not the English Super League though, which is the only one I'd even slightly consider having my phone/tablet follow. I.e. Siri and Google Now are probably great if you're into the NBA, NFL, MLB etc., but they both suck for following anything like the NRL, NBL, Super 15, the surfing WCT and so on. Maybe next year will be better, seeing as the official NRL app will finally be making its way to Android. Siri has no excuse though, Apple advertises it as being a working feature.
__________________
2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.6GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, 512GB HD, Windows 8 x64. iPad Air 64GB. 2013 Google Nexus 7 32GB. iPhone 5 32GB.
ReanimationN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:05 AM   #99
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
The more I use both the more I prefer Siri. Siri can't do something's that google now can like telling you traffic on the way home but I just don't like how google now always gives me a google search.

I was doing some random research and used Siri for "crime rate of Pennsylvania". It gives you a nice wolfram alpha card. Google now takes you to a web search which still requires a ton of leg work.

For my uses in my country with my accent I find Siri better. Mileage will vary obviously.
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:38 AM   #100
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
The more I use both the more I prefer Siri. Siri can't do something's that google now can like telling you traffic on the way home but I just don't like how google now always gives me a google search.

I was doing some random research and used Siri for "crime rate of Pennsylvania". It gives you a nice wolfram alpha card. Google now takes you to a web search which still requires a ton of leg work.

For my uses in my country with my accent I find Siri better. Mileage will vary obviously.
I agree. It's the cards that set Google Now apart from the competition. When it comes to asking questions, I find Siri to be better.
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool Google Earth/Bing Maps imagery sk1wbw Picture Gallery 6 Feb 7, 2013 12:35 PM
Google Play or itunes Match tedesco24 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 17 Jan 4, 2013 05:44 AM
Google Launches Free Scan and Match Music Service to Compete With Apple and Amazon MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 387 Dec 21, 2012 08:19 PM
Google Music match question tbluhp iPhone 3 Dec 20, 2012 01:44 AM
Google Music Scan & Match now in US paulsalter Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 1 Dec 18, 2012 01:44 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC