Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

So does Android. Except no one seems to be outrage about it.

How do you think Google Now knows where you work and where your home is?

----------

Apple:

iTunes/Apple Store credentials
Siri
Apple Maps
iAd
iCloud Mail
iOS
Siri search
Ping... oops that failed.

Michael

What Apple knows about you is not even close to what Google knows.

Google Play
Google Voice Search
Google Cloud
Google Docs
Google Ad Network (DoubleClick)
Google Wallet/Checkout
Google Voice
Google Maps
Google Analytics
Google Mail
Google Android
Google Search
Google Plus
Google YouTube

----------

AGGREGATED, this is the word. Please, read what you quote.

Please read what you wrote:

"No data is shared with 3rd parties"

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Thanks. But from what I read from Apple's ToS, it is essentially the same thing. That is why I was hoping someone could provide some specifics. On paper, the ToS are so similar that I personally cannot conclude that Google is any worse (or better) than Apple in these cases, except for the fact that Google provides many more services than Apple, so where Apple is logging a certain set of data, third parties (through apps) are logging the rest.

I don't have any intimate knowledge of Apple's data security procedures so there isn't much I can say about them. I only know what Google does and doesn't do with user data, and the measures that are taken to protect it.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Just admit you are wrong. Stop digging a hole for yourself.

You clearly said "No data is shared with 3rd parties" and now you don't have the guts to admit you were wrong.

No ****ing individual data, anonymously or not is shared. And no, AGGREGATED data doesn't count because it can't track or say nothing about individuals

Last edited by a moderator:

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
No ****ing individual data, anonymously or not is shared. And no, AGGREGATED data doesn't count because it can't track or say nothing about individuals

Still won't admit you are wrong eh?

Let me guess. You weren't wrong, you just mispoke.

You don't really mean "No data is shared with 3rd parties".

Why don't you read the Google Privacy Policy.

http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/

"We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google..."

Want to try again? Or do you still want to keep digging a deeper hole for yourself?

I find it funny how you go out of your way bashing everyone who doesn't think Google is God or a Saint. Didn't realize the sub forum is about Google worshipping.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Still won't admit you are wrong eh?

Let me guess. You weren't wrong, you just mispoke.

You don't really mean "No data is shared with 3rd parties".

Why don't you read the Google Privacy Policy.

http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/

"We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google..."

Want to try again? Or do you still want to keep digging a deeper hole for yourself?

The one digging a hole is you. Read the fracking thread and you will se what I have said and no what your are claming I have said

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
The one digging a hole is you. Read the fracking thread and you will se what I have said and no what your are claming I have said

What part of "We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google..." don't you understand?

It's in Google Private Policy.

Read the freaking thread and Google's Private Policy.

First you say "No data is shared with 3rd parties"

Then you pretend you mispoke and said "No ****ing individual data, anonymously or not is shared."

What's next? Still can't admit you are wrong?

Still can't admit Google shares information with 3rd parties?

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
What part of "We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google..." don't you understand?

It's in Google Private Policy.

Read the freaking thread and Google's Private Policy.

First you say "No data is shared with 3rd parties"

Then you pretend you mispoke and said "No ****ing individual data, anonymously or not is shared."

What's next? Still can't admit you are wrong?

Information we share

We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Google unless one of the following circumstances apply:

Google only share when YOU say that they have to share.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Information we share

We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Google unless one of the following circumstances apply:

Google only share when YOU say that they have to share.

So your third try is Google does share personal information if you agree.

Oletros 3 tries:
1. "No data is shared with 3rd parties".
2. "No ****ing individual data, anonymously or not is shared."
3. "Google only share when YOU say that they have to share."

Haha.. hilarious how you are wrong and can't admit it.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
What Apple knows about you is not even close to what Google knows.

Google Play
Google Voice Search
Google Cloud
Google Docs
Google Ad Network (DoubleClick)
Google Wallet/Checkout
Google Voice
Google Maps
Google Analytics
Google Mail
Google Android
Google Search
Google Plus
Google YouTube

So because Google has more web products, many of which are popular, that means they are bad and Apple is good because they have less? Uh Okay. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think Apple's web efforts have sucked (Siri and other offerings still go down regularly). I would not trust Apple to keep things secure compared to Google. Not out of maliciousness on Apple's part, but rather being out of their element.

Michael

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
App just got updated. One new feature is that it can listen to and identify songs. Looks like I'm uninstalling Shazam and Soundhound.

I love how this app gets constantly updated unlike siri

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
So because Google has more web products, many of which are popular, that means they are bad and Apple is good because they have less? Uh Okay. :rolleyes:

Seriously. Google maps, search, youtube, earth, gmail, chrome, translate, drive are all some of the top downloaded apps in itunes. Clearly, iPhone users aren't concerned and some are making it out to be bigger then it actually is.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
App just got updated. One new feature is that it can listen to and identify songs. Looks like I'm uninstalling Shazam and Soundhound.

I love how this app gets constantly updated unlike siri

That's because Siri isn't an app...it's a service and framework. It's server side so the updates are on the backend.

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
That's because Siri isn't an app...it's a service and framework. It's server side so the updates are on the backend.
So it is an infrequently updated, under-featured service. If all Apple has is semantics, then they are screwed.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
So it is an infrequently updated, under-featured service. If all Apple has is semantics, then they are screwed.

What exactly is there left? Semantics are everything. So long as they semantic engine understands what the vast majority of people are asking about then it's downhill from there in terms of complexity.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Maybe apple should just allow Google Now on the iPhone just like they did with Google Maps. :)

The closest thing you can get to it now is the Google app where you can get some pretty decent voice search results. It is somewhat conversational, but not at the level of Siri.

Unfortunately, getting the real Google Now on iPhone would require Apple to open up their OS a little more, which doesn't look to be happening anytime soon.

raf66

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
I'm all for competition as it forces the players to innovate to stay even or move ahead. However, I can't think of ANY instance where I would want a phone (or any computerized gadget) to be able to essentially read my mind and act as a surrogate HUMAN personal assistant (or heck, act as a surrogate ME). Have we become so lazy that we want gadgets to predict/monitor everything that's going on in our lives?

And I know it's fun to mock the "conspiracy theorists" out there, but have you ever just taken a step back and objectively looked at the information we've entrusted to online software giants who we absurdly think have our best interest, privacy and confidentiality at heart? I mean, we're the same nation that just a few years ago was so up in arms about receiving telephone solicitations on our home phones that the government set up a program so we could opt out of that "invasive" practice. Now we want some online mega-company to go through all of our stuff to find out what we like/need/do and where we go and when and with whom?

Folks I don't care what these companies say about whether they retain personal information on us and if so, how much and for how long. What matters is that someone other than us has this information and THAT someone is subject to court/government subpoena power and instances of blind greed by selling the info to the highest bidder. Not to mention someone taking it surreptitiously by hacking.

You guys want a handheld cyborg that stores personal information about us and those who communicate with us both on and off-site and then, after reviewing and analyzing our personal information, uses artificial intelligence to tell us what's going on in our lives?

Sheesh, I thought criminalizing biggie-sized sodas while legalizing drugs was off the chart, now comes this.

<Gets down off soapbox and puts on tinfoil hat>

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

No, he's right. I've been reading this thread, and for the past few pages, it's become quite patent that you are embarassing yourself.

If you admit your mistake, we can heal and move on.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Not really a big fan yet of Google Now, but I do like the sports notifications.
I wish it worked for Australian sports. Google Now thinks I'm a fan of the Oakland Raiders, after I made a few searches for Canberra Raiders results. Siri sucks for it as well, even after Apple specifically advertised Siri featuring sports integration in Australia. If you search for Rugby League scores, Siri says something along the lines of wishing she knew more about Rugby. Great stuff Apple. :rolleyes: Google Now, like Siri, also only works with American sports, and maybe a couple of English competitions. Not the English Super League though, which is the only one I'd even slightly consider having my phone/tablet follow. I.e. Siri and Google Now are probably great if you're into the NBA, NFL, MLB etc., but they both suck for following anything like the NRL, NBL, Super 15, the surfing WCT and so on. Maybe next year will be better, seeing as the official NRL app will finally be making its way to Android. Siri has no excuse though, Apple advertises it as being a working feature.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The more I use both the more I prefer Siri. Siri can't do something's that google now can like telling you traffic on the way home but I just don't like how google now always gives me a google search.

I was doing some random research and used Siri for "crime rate of Pennsylvania". It gives you a nice wolfram alpha card. Google now takes you to a web search which still requires a ton of leg work.

For my uses in my country with my accent I find Siri better. Mileage will vary obviously.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
The more I use both the more I prefer Siri. Siri can't do something's that google now can like telling you traffic on the way home but I just don't like how google now always gives me a google search.

I was doing some random research and used Siri for "crime rate of Pennsylvania". It gives you a nice wolfram alpha card. Google now takes you to a web search which still requires a ton of leg work.

For my uses in my country with my accent I find Siri better. Mileage will vary obviously.

I agree. It's the cards that set Google Now apart from the competition. When it comes to asking questions, I find Siri to be better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.