Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
I ripped movie last night using Handbrake and preset Apple TV 3, and the video file looks great, same quality as the DVD, however, the sound is lower than original DVD and in many places it's hard to hear what they are saying on the video. Solution?

Set the DRC setting to 1. It might help. It will help even out sounds so the change in volume isn't so drastic. It may not be louder, but more even. There is also a gain control in that menu as well.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
Set the DRC setting to 1. It might help. It will help even out sounds so the change in volume isn't so drastic. It may not be louder, but more even. There is also a gain control in that menu as well.

It's so annoying, when playing the video it's so loud in some places and many places I can't even hear them talking and have to crank up the volume and then all of a sudden it gets loud. Surely they need a normalazing feature to make sound more even throughout?

Where is the DRC setting?

What do I do with the gain control?

So you are guessing this will help?

Does anyone know for sure how to fix the audio issue?

Last edited:

blackmoses

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
It's so annoying, when playing the video it's so loud in some places and many places I can't even hear them talking and have to crank up the volume and then all of a sudden it gets loud. Surely they need a normalazing feature to make sound more even throughout?

Where is the DRC setting?

What do I do with the gain control?

So you are guessing this will help?

Does anyone know for sure how to fix the audio issue?

DRC is "dynamic range compression" - it will make soft sounds louder and loud sounds softer to even everything out more. You'll find that setting here:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s12/...6b711673f8e2/3ff3ce835ded9580e119c19fc20e78ba

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.