New iPad dropped - glass broken, best way to handle it? - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:09 AM   #26
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Techs View Post
You should support the local shops man half the price of apple no appointment needed at my shop we replace all ipad for $100 and have a 30min-1hr turn around time along with a lifetime warranty on parts and labor

You would be very surprised by third party shops that do it right the number one reason I am in this business and run a shop is to take care of people at a reasonable price with better service then apple can provide.....also I get to take apart apple gear all day

You should not be downing repair shops there are quite a few very capable people running repair shop and if I can reball your pmic after water damage and get you out the door with a working iphone for $65 I would say that beats the apple store and there geniuses

Sorry for the rant it just sucks to see us local shops have no support what so ever when in fact I believe the proper third party shop will beat apple any day!
You're missing the point of what they said. We can either pay you to fix our iPad locally or pay Apple and get a completely "new" iPad for around the same price and sometimes cheaper depending on if the person already has AppleCare+ or some type of insurance.

Sure, you personally are probably more than capable at fixing it, but not every local repair shop is. On top of that, most don't want to risk a local shop when they know it will be done correctly every single time by Apple. We can't get that guarantee with a local shop. As you can see, some are even willing to pay Apple double what a local shop would charge just to insure everything goes smooth. While you can provide a lifetime warranty, who's to say I won't be using it multiple times for an issue that came up while you were repairing my device?

And of course you believe a third party shop will beat Apple, you work and possibly own one. I'm all for having local iOS device repair shops, but they aren't for me. I purchase insurance or AppleCare+ and have them replaced by Apple over getting them repaired.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:35 AM   #27
Apple Techs
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
You're missing the point of what they said. We can either pay you to fix our iPad locally or pay Apple and get a completely "new" iPad for around the same price and sometimes cheaper depending on if the person already has AppleCare+ or some type of insurance.

Sure, you personally are probably more than capable at fixing it, but not every local repair shop is. On top of that, most don't want to risk a local shop when they know it will be done correctly every single time by Apple. We can't get that guarantee with a local shop. As you can see, some are even willing to pay Apple double what a local shop would charge just to insure everything goes smooth. While you can provide a lifetime warranty, who's to say I won't be using it multiple times for an issue that came up while you were repairing my device?

And of course you believe a third party shop will beat Apple, you work and possibly own one. I'm all for having local iOS device repair shops, but they aren't for me. I purchase insurance or AppleCare+ and have them replaced by Apple over getting them repaired.

I can agree that some local shops have little experience but there are more and more apple specific shops that any one should feel comfortable going to

I guess I am different but I take my land rover to an independent land rover specific repair shop because they aren't going to lay on some bs about how it is not land rovers fault for this or that and they tend to have better product knowledge because they are true enthusiasts and understand the general use and abuse issues

Same at my shop I have been a fanboy for ages worked with apple (CPU phone support and Genius Bar) left the Genius Bar because of the change of culture at apple regarding doing repairs and the geniuses becoming warranty specialist instead of technicians and running a successful shop now because of that fact all I really want to say is if you can find a BBB accredited shop with good reviews you should feel comfortable going to them and everyone should try and support local small business you will find they actually care about there shareholders "customers"

But I hear what you are saying but even with apple care plus if you bring something in real bad like an ipad ran over by a car or something they can and will turn you away the little reckless cause like leaving your ipad on your car and driving off (happened to a customer) apple didn't help them out the ipad was bent in half (just perfectly bent though the board was good and so was the battery) had to replace the LCD and digi got them out of my shop at a reasonable price and the ipad is still in use today, there can be benefits of going to a local shop
Apple Techs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:08 AM   #28
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Techs View Post
...But I hear what you are saying but even with apple care plus if you bring something in real bad like an ipad ran over by a car or something they can and will turn you away....
AppleCare+ plus includes 2 accidental replacements for $49 a piece after the initial $99 up-front, so no matter what someone does to the iPad accidentally, it'll more than likely be covered. This is different that the standard AppleCare that was around when you worked there. AC+ was introduced when the iPhone 4S came out.

For the record, I have insurance through an insurance company that will cover it if I spill beer on it, it gets stolen, I drop it down a flight of stairs, my dog pees on it, you name it.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:30 PM   #29
Apple Techs
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
AppleCare+ plus includes 2 accidental replacements for $49 a piece after the initial $99 up-front, so no matter what someone does to the iPad accidentally, it'll more than likely be covered. This is different that the standard AppleCare that was around when you worked there. AC+ was introduced when the iPhone 4S came out.

For the record, I have insurance through an insurance company that will cover it if I spill beer on it, it gets stolen, I drop it down a flight of stairs, my dog pees on it, you name it.

This is a little different then what applecare was like when I worked at the bar they have a reckless clause in the applecare plus so if they believe or feel it was reckless or intentional they reserve the right to refuse exchange, insurance is nice if you get a decent co pay

but done with my with my ranting just hope more folks come into local small businesses as long as we provide the service and support you deserve
Apple Techs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:59 AM   #30
Mrsfitness
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Do you know any one in Atlanta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Techs View Post
You should support the local shops man half the price of apple no appointment needed at my shop we replace all ipad for $100 and have a 30min-1hr turn around time along with a lifetime warranty on parts and labor

You would be very surprised by third party shops that do it right the number one reason I am in this business and run a shop is to take care of people at a reasonable price with better service then apple can provide.....also I get to take apart apple gear all day

You should not be downing repair shops there are quite a few very capable people running repair shop and if I can reball your pmic after water damage and get you out the door with a working iphone for $65 I would say that beats the apple store and there geniuses

Sorry for the rant it just sucks to see us local shops have no support what so ever when in fact I believe the proper third party shop will beat apple any day!
Mrsfitness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 06:20 AM   #31
Brian Y
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Techs View Post
You should support the local shops man half the price of apple no appointment needed at my shop we replace all ipad for $100 and have a 30min-1hr turn around time along with a lifetime warranty on parts and labor

You would be very surprised by third party shops that do it right the number one reason I am in this business and run a shop is to take care of people at a reasonable price with better service then apple can provide.....also I get to take apart apple gear all day

You should not be downing repair shops there are quite a few very capable people running repair shop and if I can reball your pmic after water damage and get you out the door with a working iphone for $65 I would say that beats the apple store and there geniuses

Sorry for the rant it just sucks to see us local shops have no support what so ever when in fact I believe the proper third party shop will beat apple any day!
I've seen one too many iPhones that have been seriously messed up by these repair shops in my time.

Yes, there are good ones out there, usually run by ex geniuses, who know what they're doing. But for every one of them, there's a hundred who use cheap parts, don't really know what they're doing, and are just there to rip people off and make a quick buck.

Plus - one other thing to bear in mind. If somebody takes apart your device, and fiddles with it/uses unauthorised parts, you can kiss goodbye to any kind of replacement at Apple, in or out of warranty. Somebody will probably come in quoting some law which states they cannot void the warranty (this always seems to happen around here) - but regardless, Apple has the right to, and will, refuse service if you've had it repaired badly elsewhere.

So, say you have your glass replaced for $65. If your MLB fails, and Apple see that you've had it replaced (which 99% of the time you will be able to), you'll be buying a new iPad at retail prices.

I'm sorry, but with all the disasters I've seen come out of these phone shops (especially the ones in East London) it's not worth the risk IMO.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:08 PM   #32
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Techs View Post
You should support the local shops man half the price of apple no appointment needed at my shop we replace all ipad for $100 and have a 30min-1hr turn around time along with a lifetime warranty on parts and labor
Its really nice that you warranty your non official parts etc but what about when one of your customers has an issue that isn't the display and Apple won't fix it cause you voided he Apple warranty with your tampering. Are you going to replace my iPad/fix my blown speaker etc. Probably not. Because your warranty is on the display not the other bits.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:44 AM   #33
Apple Techs
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Its really nice that you warranty your non official parts etc but what about when one of your customers has an issue that isn't the display and Apple won't fix it cause you voided he Apple warranty with your tampering. Are you going to replace my iPad/fix my blown speaker etc. Probably not. Because your warranty is on the display not the other bits.
Why in fact yes I have and will continue to do so, I love my customers and offer the best service I possibly can...if that takes me eating a $20-$60 part to help them out or make them happy no problem because you are helping me feed my family....I take care of my customers they are my shareholders they are the reason my kid goes to a good school and my table is full at the end of the day. I highly doubt you will get the knowledge and helpfulness I give on a daily basis at the "genius bar"...go home and restore your iphone that should fix your issues....but I like the positivity in the post
Apple Techs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:01 AM   #34
Apple Techs
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
I've seen one too many iPhones that have been seriously messed up by these repair shops in my time.

Yes, there are good ones out there, usually run by ex geniuses, who know what they're doing. But for every one of them, there's a hundred who use cheap parts, don't really know what they're doing, and are just there to rip people off and make a quick buck.

Plus - one other thing to bear in mind. If somebody takes apart your device, and fiddles with it/uses unauthorised parts, you can kiss goodbye to any kind of replacement at Apple, in or out of warranty. Somebody will probably come in quoting some law which states they cannot void the warranty (this always seems to happen around here) - but regardless, Apple has the right to, and will, refuse service if you've had it repaired badly elsewhere.

So, say you have your glass replaced for $65. If your MLB fails, and Apple see that you've had it replaced (which 99% of the time you will be able to), you'll be buying a new iPad at retail prices.

I'm sorry, but with all the disasters I've seen come out of these phone shops (especially the ones in East London) it's not worth the risk IMO.
Well what does the genius bar do when there is water damage and no applecare plus with damage to the pmic...you say good bye...I am sorry geniuses are a joke may know how to replace your speaker or dock but most cannot repair board level issues, I know you can send them out and give them a replacement but that doesn't mean you know more.

I can't tell you how many peeved customers I get who just left the genius bar cause you basically told them to gft and sorry out of luck or its not the battery its the apps your using...they come in to my shop I throw a multimeter to it and guess what battery is gone or the controller went bad...not the apps they where using or needing a restore...you have no reason to cover water damage well apple has no reason to but the outrageous prices for exchanges because people broke there phones is not cool...not your fault though...

but regardless my shop and a few others I work with are excellent third party repair centers with the knowledge...I personally love getting under the hood and reballing a chipset or jumping those blown caps or replacing a backlight coil...one of the main reasons I left the bar was the fact I wasn't repairing anything I was a glorified warranty consultant which sadly is what the bar is turning into...but that bad ipad board would be repairable very rarely do you get something that is beyond repair unless you snap a board in half...can't fix that yet....I mean honestly off the top of your head do you know where the pmic is on any of the iphone boards or the voltages of the pinouts on a macbook lvds....
Apple Techs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:16 AM   #35
Brian Y
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Techs View Post
Well what does the genius bar do when there is water damage and no applecare plus with damage to the pmic...you say good bye...I am sorry geniuses are a joke may know how to replace your speaker or dock but most cannot repair board level issues, I know you can send them out and give them a replacement but that doesn't mean you know more.

I can't tell you how many peeved customers I get who just left the genius bar cause you basically told them to gft and sorry out of luck or its not the battery its the apps your using...they come in to my shop I throw a multimeter to it and guess what battery is gone or the controller went bad...not the apps they where using or needing a restore...you have no reason to cover water damage well apple has no reason to but the outrageous prices for exchanges because people broke there phones is not cool...not your fault though...

but regardless my shop and a few others I work with are excellent third party repair centers with the knowledge...I personally love getting under the hood and reballing a chipset or jumping those blown caps or replacing a backlight coil...one of the main reasons I left the bar was the fact I wasn't repairing anything I was a glorified warranty consultant which sadly is what the bar is turning into...but that bad ipad board would be repairable very rarely do you get something that is beyond repair unless you snap a board in half...can't fix that yet....I mean honestly off the top of your head do you know where the pmic is on any of the iphone boards or the voltages of the pinouts on a macbook lvds....
If you read my post - I'm not saying that you don't do a good job. What I'm saying is that, for every one of you, there are 50-100 cowboys out there. I've seen the work that some of these repair shops do - and it's not pretty.

Yes, Apple don't do PCB level repairs because it wouldn't be cost effective for them to do so. They give a refurbished handset, then send it back, do a PCB level repair on it, and then ship it out as a refurb.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 09:08 PM   #36
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Techs View Post
. I highly doubt you will get the knowledge and helpfulness I give on a daily basis at the "genius bar"...
Nope. I get way more and better. Starting with the fact that they don't knowingly do stuff that will void my warranty.

There might be some bad techs at Apple but in the past several years I've done business with staff at something like 23 stories in five countries and sure haven't found any. Some jerks and idiots at third party shops, that's happened many times. Including so called experts telling me bad info and telling me I should switch to Windows cause I'm too stupid to use Macs, when they were the wrong ones.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Techs View Post
Well what does the genius bar do when there is water damage and no applecare plus with damage to the pmic...you say good bye
No you don't. You are offered the ability to get about of warranty swap at much less than the full retail for many items. And a second chance to add the apple care plus if you wish

Quote:

..I am sorry geniuses are a joke may know how to replace your speaker or dock but most cannot repair board level issues,
Like customers care. They want working gear back fast. Putting in a new board solves that issue. So it is just fine, no need to be able to strip it down to the iris etc.


Quote:
I know you can
I can't do anything. And this just shows how much you bother to find out about the folks you are talking to. At no time have I ever said I work or ever worked at Apple. If you bothered you'd know what I do. Not knowing your customers doesn't improve your standings.

Your comments are pure snobbery and just add to why I refuse to go to shops like yours. And as the owner of the product that is my right. Period. Call me a fool if you like but your opinion doesn't matter in this case, mine does cause it's my money. So please stop the game of 'correcting' me and 'educating' me about why you and folks like you are better.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:53 AM   #37
MaddyJ
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
How to contact Apple Techs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Techs View Post
Well what does the genius bar do when there is water damage and no applecare plus with damage to the pmic...you say good bye...I am sorry geniuses are a joke may know how to replace your speaker or dock but most cannot repair board level issues, I know you can send them out and give them a replacement but that doesn't mean you know more.

I can't tell you how many peeved customers I get who just left the genius bar cause you basically told them to gft and sorry out of luck or its not the battery its the apps your using...they come in to my shop I throw a multimeter to it and guess what battery is gone or the controller went bad...not the apps they where using or needing a restore...you have no reason to cover water damage well apple has no reason to but the outrageous prices for exchanges because people broke there phones is not cool...not your fault though...

but regardless my shop and a few others I work with are excellent third party repair centers with the knowledge...I personally love getting under the hood and reballing a chipset or jumping those blown caps or replacing a backlight coil...one of the main reasons I left the bar was the fact I wasn't repairing anything I was a glorified warranty consultant which sadly is what the bar is turning into...but that bad ipad board would be repairable very rarely do you get something that is beyond repair unless you snap a board in half...can't fix that yet....I mean honestly off the top of your head do you know where the pmic is on any of the iphone boards or the voltages of the pinouts on a macbook lvds....
Hi, we need to contact Apple Techs to look into ipad repair. Do you have an email or contact information? thank you, MaddyJ.
MaddyJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:06 PM   #38
MaddyJ
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
repair of ipad

Hi Apple Techs, I would like to contact you about an ipad repair. I am not sure how to do this and also I am new to the forum. thank you, Maddy J.
MaddyJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:54 AM   #39
shyam09
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddyJ View Post
Hi, we need to contact Apple Techs to look into ipad repair. Do you have an email or contact information? thank you, MaddyJ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddyJ View Post
Hi Apple Techs, I would like to contact you about an ipad repair. I am not sure how to do this and also I am new to the forum. thank you, Maddy J.
http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/
shyam09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 05:43 PM   #40
narutoninjakid
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Jersey
I fixed devices third party before but I would only do so if im not going to sell the device in the future. Potential buyers don't really like that.
narutoninjakid is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:33 PM   #41
nilzi
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
send it to Apple store is the best way to save your iPad. But you need to replace the digitizer by yourself if the tablet has no insurance. you can find the DIY repair tutorial video at ifixit.com
nilzi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:40 AM   #42
jdcell100
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Just paid 150 bucks to a local shop to change cracked screen on ipad3 dropped it off called in about 2 hours said it was done when I picked it up the guy goes you have a pixel gone in the LCD it was probly there for months never noticed it till the guy showed me as soon as he showed me my eyes immediately went to that stupid dot all the time drove me nuts bring it back down charged me 60 bucks to change the LCD took him 10 minits
jdcell100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Broken iPad 3 glass HE15MAN iPad 2 Apr 11, 2014 10:01 AM
how does SquareTrade handle dropped iPad 2 with cracked screen/case? watermelonbook iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Mar 7, 2014 01:42 AM
iPad dropped on tile and the glass shattered bobright iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 6 Apr 17, 2013 06:59 PM
New iPad broken glass in a near-car-accident :/ fs454 iPad 36 Aug 26, 2012 05:04 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC