Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackfx35

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I am trying to rip "What Happens in Vegas" but I get a "Dummy VOB warning, The VOB indicates it was mastered with deliberate bad sectors."

Options are delete VOB or Pad VOB. Not sure VOB is, or what I should do. Any suggestions? Thanks.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
You can have it delete the dummy VOB's or pad them so that you can actually watch the rip. One or the other ought to work. However, you may just want to try Handbrake (+VLC) to rip DVD's now. It's free and, in my opinion works better.

blackfx35

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
You can have it delete the dummy VOB's or pad them so that you can actually watch the rip. One or the other ought to work. However, you may just want to try Handbrake (+VLC) to rip DVD's now. It's free and, in my opinion works better.

Thanks. I use Handbrake already to convert them, but not sure what VLC is. Where do I find that? Thanks

blackfx35

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Now I am getting "Bad Sectors" when trying to Rip 21! Annoying...I have a flight tomorrow, and am trying to get these done so I can watch on my iTouch!

macbookonthego

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2009
Handbrake and VLC

Thanks. I use Handbrake already to convert them, but not sure what VLC is. Where do I find that? Thanks

Handbrake is seriously faster than Mac The Ripper - I mean we are talking 5 minutes max where MTR will take an hour on an older MacBook white - you might vave to download and install a dvd library item (that takes about 15 seconds - get the pkg version simple

VLC is open-source video player - will pretty much play anything...

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.

VLC, in conjunction with Handbrake, will allow you encode straight from the DVD optical media, rather than the 2 step process of ripping with Mac the Ripper and then encoding with Handbrake. You just need VLC in your app folder for it to work.

Often you can encode a DVD with this when a ripping program fails.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

Oh, and there are Mac the Ripper 3 and 4. Mac the Ripper 3 is an intel app, whereas MtR2.66 is a PowerPC app that won't work on an intel mac without Rosetta which was stopped in OS X 10.7. Both MtR 3 and 4 are not available for official download, but MtR 3 is obtainable through unofficial channels.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.