Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frozi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
I just finished an online chat with someone from apple. They told me if I change the ram on the 27 inch on my own, it WILL void the warranty. They said I had to bring it into apple and that I could not use any other ram but their own if I wanted to keep the warranty in check.

?????

Is this true? Or is everyone on here that is upgrading their RAM on their own just voiding their computers warranty?

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I just finished an online chat with someone from apple. They told me if I change the ram on the 27 inch on my own, it WILL void the warranty. They said I had to bring it into apple and that I could not use any other ram but their own if I wanted to keep the warranty in check.

?????

Is this true? Or is everyone on here that is upgrading their RAM on their own just voiding their computers warranty?

I'm having a little difficulty even believing you were speaking to someone from Apple. RAM is the only user upgradeable part on iMacs that can be upgraded by the user and no it will not affect the warranty. Apple even provides how-to instructions in the owners manual, why would they do this if it voided the warranty?

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

?????

That's BS. Now, there may be a problem if you break something while you're installing the memory, but that would take some effort. Apple even provides detailed instructions on installation.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012

?????

Total nonsense.

RAM on the 27" is very specifically a user-upgradable part (as mentioned by Apple in the tech specs). It absolutely WILL NOT void your warranty if you install third party RAM.

frozi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
I was going to take a screen shot of the convo becuase I too was in AH with her response. It said I was chatting with TIERRA.

I dont see the point in me making up a conversation I had with someone. I clicked "chat now" and asked them the question. Im just letting you guys know what she said.

It was weird though, I told her I was going to be using the computer for video editing, and she said I BETTER GO WITH FUSION because it will help me a lot. That too was weird, because fusion wont help the computer run faster when the porgram is launched.

She was probably just trying to get me to upgrade upgrade and upgrade.

Sendaii

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011

Which is also really strange, in my opinion at least. I've never had anyone at Apple try to "up sell" me on products or services.

frozi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
alright, well Im glad you guys all cleared it up for me. Thanks

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Total BS and there is a HUGE giveaway: the RAM is accessible without tools. This is Apple's way of saying go ahead, upgrade the RAM. Otherwise they would have either 1) buried it like the 21" or 2) locked it down with some proprietary screw like the pentalobe.

Also, Apple has no clue if you put your own RAM in if you remove it before you send it in for service, if ever the case. I've put my own RAM in many PBs and MBPs in the past and just remove before I take to the store - not to evade, but because Apple tells you you might not get non-Apple RAM or other upgrades back from service.

Finally, there is nothing that RAM can do to ruin your machine. It might not work if it's not to spec, but it's not going to harm anything. Now if you install it like a numbskull right after rubbing your sock feet over the carpet, well, that's on you.

frozi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
alright, so since everyone here clearly knows more about RAM then I do.

I will be using my IMAC for Avid and after effects.

I know the more the better, but is 16gigs of ram good, or do I need to go to 32?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I was going to take a screen shot of the convo becuase I too was in AH with her response. It said I was chatting with TIERRA.

I dont see the point in me making up a conversation I had with someone. I clicked "chat now" and asked them the question. Im just letting you guys know what she said.

It was weird though, I told her I was going to be using the computer for video editing, and she said I BETTER GO WITH FUSION because it will help me a lot. That too was weird, because fusion wont help the computer run faster when the porgram is launched.

Actually the rep was correct about the Fusion drive. It's not just for launching apps faster. Your hard disk is the main source for bottlenecks during processing and the Fusion drive will allow for information transferring much faster.

frozi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Actually the rep was correct about the Fusion drive. It's not just for launching apps faster. Your hard disk is the main source for bottlenecks during processing and the Fusion drive will allow for information transferring much faster.

ahhhh...I had no problem waiting an extra minute for the program to start, but if fusion will help in other ways, I have some thinking to do.

I work at a television studio, and I spoke to our IT department. They all think fusion is too "gimmicky" right now. But mind you, we use HP Z series here at work. So its hard to fully listen to all they have to say since I am going the Apple route.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
ahhhh...I had no problem waiting an extra minute for the program to start, but if fusion will help in other ways, I have some thinking to do.

I work at a television studio, and I spoke to our IT department. They all think fusion is too "gimmicky" right now. But mind you, we use HP Z series here at work. So its hard to fully listen to all they have to say since I am going the Apple route.

Haha, you're spot on with your I.T department's mentality. Because the Fusion drive is something Apple created they probably are looking at it as a "toy". Check around the web and even here on MR, people are giving it great reviews on speed and file transferring. Most I.T. departments (unless they have a mixed Mac and PC environment) have that same mentality. Had the Fusion drive been made by Dell or Lenovo for their workstation laptops I'll bet your I.T. department would be singing the praises for it. :D

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

If they think Fusion is a gimmick then they don't have a clue.

jon9091

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
alright, so since everyone here clearly knows more about RAM then I do.

I will be using my IMAC for Avid and after effects.

I know the more the better, but is 16gigs of ram good, or do I need to go to 32?

Get as much as you can afford.

And seriously...the last time I had a chat with someone named TIERRA, she was dancing on table 3. I don't think I would have taken computer advice from her either. ;)

Vuddha

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
How much to spend??

Or you could go all the way:

Configuration - 27" IMAC $1999.00
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 - $200.00
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB-Replaced with 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-4x8GB from Crucial $151.98
768GB Flash Storage - $1300
NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 680MX 2G GDDR5 - $150.00
MAGIC MOUSE+MAGIC TRACKPAD
Apple WL Kybd (English)+UG
COUNTRY KIT

Samsung SE-506AB/TSBD 6X USB2.0 External Slim Blu-ray Writer Drive (Black) - $89.00

And get an External Thunderbolt Raid. If Speed is what you want. - From $549. for the 4T LaCie 2big Thunderbolt Series to $2299.00 for Promise Pegasus 12TB (6x2TB) R6 RAID System.

There is another Option that was brought to my attention recently is:
Replace the above 768GB Flash Storage - $1300 and get the 1T hard drive and get External Thunderbolt drive LaCie Little Big Disk 1T SSD -$999.00
Shocking SATA III SSD speeds up to 635MB/s
Perfect for creative pros on the go
Dual Thunderbolt ports for daisy chaining

:eek: But it will cost you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.