Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoomy942

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
Afternoon!

First, I got an iPhone 4s for my bday a few weeks ago. First iPhone for me (have an iPod 4) and wow this thing is amazing.

But I'm curious about 2 things.

I know the occasional text notification studder is a bug and disabling the lock screen preview fixes it. No big deal- but I'm accurate right?

Next. Occasionally when I wake te phone with the power button or home button , nothing happens and 5 seconds or so and then it lights up. If I press it again it will flip on the back off then it's fine in responsiveness after that.

Thoughts on these fellas?

Love my phone. Had android for 5 years. What was I thinking all that time?

PZ

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Afternoon!

First, I got an iPhone 4s for my bday a few weeks ago. First iPhone for me (have an iPod 4) and wow this thing is amazing.

But I'm curious about 2 things.

I know the occasional text notification studder is a bug and disabling the lock screen preview fixes it. No big deal- but I'm accurate right?

Next. Occasionally when I wake te phone with the power button or home button , nothing happens and 5 seconds or so and then it lights up. If I press it again it will flip on the back off then it's fine in responsiveness after that.

Thoughts on these fellas?

Love my phone. Had android for 5 years. What was I thinking all that time?

PZ

I have the same problem with waking the phone up. I think it has to do with something I installed. I'm jailbroken. Is your device jailbroken?

zoomy942

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
I have the same problem with waking the phone up. I think it has to do with something I installed. I'm jailbroken. Is your device jailbroken?

No sir. Just regular.

I did an iTunes restore as a new phone to see of it would help. It didn't.

I'll be near an apple store in a week (i live in thr country) and thought maybe of swapping it out. But if it's iOS and not the device then that wouldn't help.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
No sir. Just regular.

I did an iTunes restore as a new phone to see of it would help. It didn't.

I'll be near an apple store in a week (i live in thr country) and thought maybe of swapping it out. But if it's iOS and not the device then that wouldn't help.

I just uninstalled everything I had installed from being jailbroken but I still got the lag. I also just tested 2 other non jailbroken iPhone 4s's an they both have it but its more like 1-2 second not 5.

zoomy942

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
The wake lag isn't every time. Just sometimes.

And the text notification thing? Thoughts?

Maybe swapping is worth it? Can I call vzw or go to an apple store? Silly question im sure, just new to apple.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
The wake lag isn't every time. Just sometimes.

And the text notification thing? Thoughts?

Maybe swapping is worth it? Can I call vzw or go to an apple store? Silly question im sure, just new to apple.

Probably just a bug. iOS 5.x still has some bugs that will probably be ironed out in future releases (especially 5.0/5.0.1). Which version are you on?

zoomy942

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
Probably just a bug. iOS 5.x still has some bugs that will probably be ironed out in future releases (especially 5.0/5.0.1). Which version are you on?

Hi there. I'm on the latest version iTunes grabbed.

I figured it was a bug or 2. I'm probably making too much of this anyway. Just wanted to know if I was alone or not.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Hi there. I'm on the latest version iTunes grabbed.

I figured it was a bug or 2. I'm probably making too much of this anyway. Just wanted to know if I was alone or not.

I meant iOS version. Not iTunes :p
I think I experience the same problem as well.

zoomy942

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
I meant iOS version. Not iTunes :p
I think I experience the same problem as well.

Haha. I should have been more clear. iOS is what I meant too.

The wake thing is just occasional. It's like impress the button and it doesn't realize it. Then I try again and it says. Hi!

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
To add some balance ;

Im on an iPhone 4 - 5.0.1, jailbroken with no lag you describe at anytime.

I hope you get sorted one way or another.

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
Would like to share my experience..

I'm on an iPhone 4 16GB (unjailbroken). I've had this device since september of 2010 and only started having the wake lag after iOS 5 was installed. Occasionally it won't turn it on at all and when I try to hit the home button to wake up the device it takes a screenshot.

The wake lag is random and only happens about once a day. I haven't restored the phone since iOS 5 was installed and don't want to at this point because it isn't a huge concern for me.

zoomy942

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
Thanks guys!

Good to know the SMS bug is obvious, hopefully wil get fixed.

As for the wake screen flash, sounds like a big as well.

Good to know since I didn't want to have to replace my device and from the sounds of it, I don't need to.

Tinhat

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
Hi - I have this exact problem too with the random wake lag and screenshot on iPhone 4 16gb, ios 5.0.1. Did anyone work out a fix?

AMC89

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2012
Had the notification bug. Phone also had other fault with the cellular so it was swapped out but as far as I was aware it was a hardware fault. Best get it seen

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
This happens to me also, although I believe it has to do with the phone being on standby for some time and when you try to "wake" it, it starts processing the button order and takes some time to do it due to being inactive. At least that's my view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.