Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexremo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a camcorder that is compatible with my Mac for editing. The reason behind this purchase is that I want to make entry level training videos. I plan on creating certain 1-on-1 discussions that will be filmed for future training purposes. These will be filmed indoors so I am looking for a camera that has good capabilities in low light.

Furthermore, I am looking to spend total of $500-1000. However I am considering purchasing two camcorders to record the individuals as the discussion takes place, and thus not have to readjust the camera as the discussion takes place.

So far the the HF S21Canon looks good but due to the price I would only be able to get 1.

If you have any comments on the set up of 2 cameras or other suggestions they would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Alex

jonjiv

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
If you are looking to do interview setups, it might make more sense to use a dSLR instead of an actual video camera in this price range. A dSLR is going to give you excellent low light capabilities and a far superior picture than the S21, for less. The catch is you'll lose useful autofocus. That is not a problem in an interview setup because you'll manually set the focus on your subject and it won't change throughout the entire interview.

Sticking with Canon, I would recommend a Canon T3i ($599). The kit lens isn't the greatest in low-light, but the cheap, but awesome, Canon 50mm 1.8 lens ($110) would give you a significant improvement.

One trick, that will save you money, is to do what television journalists often do for interviews. Instead of shooting an interview with two cameras, a journalist will often shoot the subject first, having them answer all the interview questions. Then the reporter will turn the same camera on himself and film him asking the same questions and "reacting" to some of the answers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.