Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
My questions are really dumb, I know they are because they rarely get answered but hey I'm a newbie. I would like to know what is the best app to get for my Mac in order to watch Youtube videos. I ask because when the native Youtube app disappeared from my Ipad in the 6.0.1 upgrade, i got several from the app store and didnt like them.

Also, for the same purpose, is it safe for my MBP to load Flash Player? I know to get from the Adobe site but just asking is it safe to put that on my Mac? I know I have a lot to learn. Please help. Thank you.

I AM REALLY CONFUSED NOW. I just tried to download Flash Player. Hit the download button, saw the steps 1 - 4, said to double click on first 2, basically didnt, screen was just frozen. Went and checked all my preferences to see if I had set some kind of security to prevent download and dont see anything. Anyway, a download shows in my download stack in the right in my dock. Has Flash Player with a .dmg extension, I dont know what to do with that. HELP! I mean how do I know if its in my system.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
My questions are really dumb, I know they are because they rarely get answered but hey I'm a newbie. I would like to know what is the best app to get for my Mac in order to watch Youtube videos. I ask because when the native Youtube app disappeared from my Ipad in the 6.0.1 upgrade, i got several from the app store and didnt like them.

Also, for the same purpose, is it safe for my MBP to load Flash Player? I know to get from the Adobe site but just asking is it safe to put that on my Mac? I know I have a lot to learn. Please help. Thank you.

The best YouTube app for the Mac is your web browser. Safari, Chrome, Firefox, your choice.

As for Flash, you can put it on your Mac and it shouldn't cause you any problems.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I would like to know what is the best app to get for my Mac in order to watch Youtube videos.
You can watch YouTube videos directly in your browser, such as Safari. There is no need for a separate app. Just visit YouTube.com

Yes, it's safe.

I use Flash on Safari with ClickToFlash to control which content plays, and I have zero issues with it. Generally speaking, Flash is notorious for consuming system resources, raising temps and decreasing battery life. For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

Last edited:

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
You can watch YouTube videos directly in your browser, such as Safari. There is no need for a separate app.

Yes, it's safe.

I use Flash on Safari with ClickToFlash to control which content plays, and I have zero issues with it. Generally speaking, Flash is notorious for consuming system resources, raising temps and decreasing battery life. For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

Have you tried Clicktoplugin? It makes Flash videos play in HTML5 on most every video website, but it doesn't use the same player style as youtube. It looks like this when you play a video, except it retains all of the website's normal formatting (doesn't go all black around the edges):

HTML5_video.jpg

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Yes, the link I posted is for both ClickToPlugin & ClickToFlash Safari extensions.

I was just wondering, because you said that you use Clicktoflash, which only stops it from running automatically vs. Clicktoplugin which provides a substitute.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Oh thank you folks. Youtube.com, how simple. Ok I downloaded Clicktoplugin. It was lightening fast after I clicked download but it does show up in my downloaded folder so I guess I have it. Now what does it do for me or what do I do with it. And HTML5 looks fine to me but how do I get to watch the videos over that? Such a newbie, I know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.