Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
I know the buying guide says NO, but I haven't seen many rumors suggesting a new one is coming. Or is there something I am missing?

I am wanting to get one and $75 on the refurb store seems like a great deal. Don't want to buy one and have a new one come out a month later.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
I know the buying guide says NO, but I haven't seen many rumors suggesting a new one is coming. Or is there something I am missing?

I am wanting to get one and $75 on the refurb store seems like a great deal. Don't want to buy one and have a new one come out a month later.

buy it use it enjoy it. worst case you use it on a second tv when another comes out.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
buy it use it enjoy it. worst case you use it on a second tv when another comes out.

^+1.

What else are they gonna do next, hardware-wise? It's already on 1080p. Can always add more widgets via software updates...

I don't see them doing anything until the rumored Apple TV, and that will be a "throw away everything u got, start from zero." :eek:

mddharma

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
Hagerstown, Md
Just bought a refurb - minutes ago ...

:)

I have an Apple TV 2 currently and want to see my HD purchases from itunes on 1080 instead of 720. I have a new Panasonic plasma ST60 60" and want to get my best use out of it. Once the new one comes in I will put my Apple TV 2 up on ebay and get maybe twice as much as the refurb. I don't jail break so no need for the Apple TV 2.

I've been holding out for a new model and I am hoping one happens this fall - just don't want to wait any longer. If a new one comes out I will buy that and pay the Apple TV 3 forward. ;)

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
I bought one yesterday and love it. I love AirPlay function lol how anything I watch on iPhone can view on my tv. Netflix is even better on a bigger screen and its just great in my opinion :)

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
^+1.

What else are they gonna do next, hardware-wise? It's already on 1080p. Can always add more widgets via software updates...

I don't see them doing anything until the rumored Apple TV, and that will be a "throw away everything u got, start from zero." :eek:

My biggest concern is a new Apple TV set top box with more processing power to do Apps and such or whatever cool new things they are working on. Content deals with providers. But I guess that isn't expected anytime soon so I should be good for now.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I'd go for it - worst case scenario is you want to upgrade and have to pay $40 dollars to do that after selling the ATV3 - you'd also be missing out on the time you have right now with that awesome set top box.

----------

:)

I have an Apple TV 2 currently and want to see my HD purchases from itunes on 1080 instead of 720. I have a new Panasonic plasma ST60 60" and want to get my best use out of it. Once the new one comes in I will put my Apple TV 2 up on ebay and get maybe twice as much as the refurb. I don't jail break so no need for the Apple TV 2.

I've been holding out for a new model and I am hoping one happens this fall - just don't want to wait any longer. If a new one comes out I will buy that and pay the Apple TV 3 forward. ;)

You do realize that you could sell an ATV 2 on eBay for $200 upwards and have enough to buy an ATV 3 and ATV 4 when that comes out :)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The Apple TV seems to get updated fairly irregularly which makes the buyers guide not as reliable for it as other products. So given the lack or rumors about an imminent update I'd say if the current one does what you want then buy it.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
My biggest concern is a new Apple TV set top box with more processing power to do Apps and such or whatever cool new things they are working on. Content deals with providers. But I guess that isn't expected anytime soon so I should be good for now.

They just beefed up the processor earlier this year. I went ahead and got my (first!) ATV a couple of weeks ago, and I love it. Always room for improvement, but it's been a huge success as preliminary test before we go whole-hog cord cutting.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I have 3, one on each TV, and love them.

Sadly I upgraded the two "2's" I have so I can't sell them to jail breakers on eBay. :mad:

lencinas

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2013
i wont buy.
ios7 have now games control integration. Probably soon the apple tv will run ios7 and it could turn in a great gaming platform . Just to be sure, i would wait till Xmas

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
i wont buy.
ios7 have now games control integration. Probably soon the apple tv will run ios7 and it could turn in a great gaming platform . Just to be sure, i would wait till Xmas

Dude, it's a $100. This isn't an iPad ($500+), an iPhone ($700+), or any Mac computer. You are honestly telling him not to buy and to wait 4-5 months "just in case".... In that time s/he could be using it and get their $100 worth out of it.

----------

Seriously, just buy it. It's $75. What's the worst that could happen? Another one comes out next month and you either move this one to a secondary tv, or sell it and take a $25 hit. IT IS ONLY $75!

I have no idea how many of these threads need to be made, before people realize that brand new we are talking a sub-$100 product.

Would you wait to buy a gaming mouse (that could easily run $60+) for the next model? NO. You just buy. What about a webcam? What about a monitor that could run you a couple hundred bucks? No. So why an AppleTV?!?!

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
i wont buy.

The current Apple TV is getting the upgrade to iOS 7 (it has already seen iOS 7 beta releases). I don't understand your argument. It is not a huge investment. I'm not sure why you would want to wait.

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
Refurbished $75 model for $75 is latest model

I just got the $75 Apple TV from Apple and it is 1080p, which is the latest model. It will support the latest updates, so why wait?

Looks like new, has the full 1 year new warranty, etc.

I also own the 160GB original Apple TV. I hesitated buying the new Apple TV because I moved to Italy, and can't do Netflix on Apple TV, which was the only real new feature I was interested in. Plus I like not having to have my computer on to watch movies, etc.

However, if you get the program Netshade, you can do Netflix or Hulu anywhere in the world on your Mac computer, and then use the Airplay with the new Apple TV to throw it from computer to your TV. Plus you can project ANY program on your Mac to the Apple TV!

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
The current Apple TV is getting the upgrade to iOS 7 (it has already seen iOS 7 beta releases). I don't understand your argument. It is not a huge investment. I'm not sure why you would want to wait.

If I read the post you're referring to correctly, the poster is guessing that a "gaming" update to ATV might also include ATVs with more on-board storage. And perhaps will happen, but I don't think we've seen any rumors, leaks, or supply chain analysis that would support that yet, so I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Can anyone who's used the iOS7 beta on ATV comment on if it makes the ATV more organized/easier to navigate?

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Bought my first one last month and can't believe I never had it.

And then they add Vevo...I just hit alternative and it's like having my on alternative video music channel streaming constantly. I'm in heavan. :)

Otago Lad

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Can anyone who's used the iOS7 beta on ATV comment on if it makes the ATV more organized/easier to navigate?

Really keen to know this as well - on an iPad using iOS7, when you go to shared and choose your network itunes library the organisation for TV Shows is now very good (lots of not good stuff with iOS7 beta on the iPad but this is one fix they've got right). It uses the following hierachy:

TV Show Name
>Season No.
>>Episode No.

I really hope they do this with iOS7 on the aTV as currently it shows every season as its own show and when you have multiple shows like I do with 5 to 20 seasons it makes the TV Shows list very very long.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
Really keen to know this as well - on an iPad using iOS7, when you go to shared and choose your network itunes library the organisation for TV Shows is now very good (lots of not good stuff with iOS7 beta on the iPad but this is one fix they've got right). It uses the following hierachy:

TV Show Name
>Season No.
>>Episode No.

I really hope they do this with iOS7 on the aTV as currently it shows every season as its own show and when you have multiple shows like I do with 5 to 20 seasons it makes the TV Shows list very very long.
I've been hoping for a hierarchy fix for a long time. Thought we would get it after iTunes changed to it. I just use unwatched for the season of whatever I'm currently on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.