Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H00aoj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Hello,

I going to buy the new imac when its availble, and ive never owned a Mac before so this will be my first experience with apple computers.

Im going for the 21" version. I need to bootcamp Windows so i can play some games if i want. I dont really get how the fusion drive works with this - can i choose fusion drive and still run Windows 7 with it? I need some advice on this, hope u guys can help me out and recommend which specs to choose for random gaming on Windows.

Thanks!:)

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Hello,

I going to buy the new imac when its availble, and ive never owned a Mac before so this will be my first experience with apple computers.

Im going for the 21" version. I need to bootcamp Windows so i can play some games if i want. I dont really get how the fusion drive works with this - can i choose fusion drive and still run Windows 7 with it? I need some advice on this, hope u guys can help me out and recommend which specs to choose for random gaming on Windows.

Thanks!:)

You can use bootcamp with the 1TB fusion drive, but at the moment it does not work with the 3TB fusion drive. Link to Apple Support Article.

EPiCDiNGO

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
The fusion drive will let u install windows on bootcamp but u will only get the speeds of the 5200rpm HDD not the fusion SSD+HDD combo as it installs windows onto the 1TB HDD. :apple:

H00aoj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Thanks! 1TB will be enough for me then! So I will experience the benefits with fusion drive on Mac OS bur not while running Windows?

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Thanks! 1TB will be enough for me then! So I will experience the benefits with fusion drive on Mac OS bur not while running Windows?

Correct. Fusion isn't a new kind of drive, it's OS X software combining SSD and HDD in a new way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.