Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:08 PM   #1
AndiS.
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Is the beach ball always bad news, even if its only for a second?

I'm completely new to Macs and OSX, and from what I read that Beachball is bad news. I'm getting it every time for no longer than a second when loading Unigine's Heaven, does anybody else get that on their 2012 iMac?

I'm not really sure if that is a problem at all, but from what I read this means an application is unresponsive, does anybody have suggestions?
AndiS. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:13 PM   #2
bobright
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Do you have a base model without Fusion?

I'd imagine it might pop up doing CPU intense stuff.
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:16 PM   #3
AndiS.
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
Do you have a base model without Fusion?

I'd imagine it might pop up doing CPU intense stuff.
no, Fusion / i5 / 680MX. It's only for a second during the load screen and still benches 39 FPS. It also appears when loading Diablo 3 in OSX, for a second.

Update: I checked Activity monitor, nothing there. I mean, my system isn't really slowing down, but since I'm new to OSX I was wondering whether that thing showing up at all is reason to worry?

I also ran Black Magic Disc, I get over 300 write and over 400 read.

Last edited by AndiS.; Dec 24, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
AndiS. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:52 PM   #4
slffl
macrumors 65816
 
slffl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiS. View Post
I'm completely new to Macs and OSX, and from what I read that Beachball is bad news. I'm getting it every time for no longer than a second when loading Unigine's Heaven, does anybody else get that on their 2012 iMac?

I'm not really sure if that is a problem at all, but from what I read this means an application is unresponsive, does anybody have suggestions?
No it's not bad news. It means that the CPU or HDD is being used to capacity. Get Menu Meters or a similar program so you can see how much of your CPU and HDD is being accessed.

Solve it by getting as much RAM as possible and Fusion or SSD drive.
__________________
Why waste your time posting how much you hate Apple products?
slffl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:40 PM   #5
AndiS.
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by slffl View Post
No it's not bad news. It means that the CPU or HDD is being used to capacity. Get Menu Meters or a similar program so you can see how much of your CPU and HDD is being accessed.

Solve it by getting as much RAM as possible and Fusion or SSD drive.
Thanks, I have Fusion and 16 GB Ram are on the way
AndiS. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:44 PM   #6
sjinsjca
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Also be sure your Fusion VM isn't using all the cores in your CPU. As in, if you have a dual core CPU, you can expect the occasional beach ball if you run a VM configured as having a two core CPU.
sjinsjca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:55 PM   #7
AndiS.
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinsjca View Post
Also be sure your Fusion VM isn't using all the cores in your CPU. As in, if you have a dual core CPU, you can expect the occasional beach ball if you run a VM configured as having a two core CPU.
Thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure if I follow. The 2012 i5 (3470) is a quad core, but what is the Fusion VM? Virtual Manager?

Update: by Fusion I was referring to the Fusion Drive (SSD+1TB) in the new iMacs, I googled Fusion VM and there must've been a misunderstanding

Last edited by AndiS.; Dec 24, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
AndiS. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:24 AM   #8
auwkeung
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
It's just the mac version of the hourglass in Windows

Nothing to worry about, as long as it doesn't stay there constanty
auwkeung is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:33 PM   #9
bordenkecher
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
I was getting this on my MBP when I upgraded the HDD to an SSD and moved the HDD over to replace the Super (disk) Drive. I figure it was just hanging for a sec while the HDD spun up when I had to access something off it. Once I replaced the old HDD in my MBP to a dual SSD set up I stopped seing the spinning beach ball.

I could be wrong on the cause, but that was my experience.
bordenkecher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Gelite55
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Sounds normal.
Gelite55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iMac beach ball patseguin iMac 22 Feb 17, 2014 08:05 AM
Beach ball BLOND37 MacBook Pro 0 Oct 19, 2013 04:08 PM
Beach Ball, drmajor MacBook Pro 1 Apr 24, 2013 08:30 PM
Spinning beach ball Mac and me Mac Basics and Help 10 Sep 11, 2012 02:43 PM
Beach Ball w/ ML AFPoster OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 2 Jul 31, 2012 10:53 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC