Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
I bought the 64GB iPad 4 with Wifi a few days ago. I absolutely love it and using it constantly. I'm thinking of returning it for the 32GB iPad 4 with Cellular instead as I'm currently running it nicely with a good selection of content at 25GB.

Quick question before I go to John Lewis right now... how does the battery life compare? Will I have to constantly disable cellular/wifi to get better battery (cellular, specifically)? Is it noticeably heavier? Is it FULL 4G now?

Last edited:

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
I bought the 64GB iPad 4 with Wifi a few days ago. I absolutely love it and using it constantly. I'm thinking of returning it for the 32GB iPad 4 with Cellular instead as I'm currently running it nicely with a good selection of content at 25GB.

Quick question before I go to John Lewis right now... how does the battery life compare? Will I have to constantly disable cellular/wifi to get better battery (cellular, specifically)? Is it noticeably heavier? Is it FULL 4G now?

Weight is the same. Battery life is about the same.

Full 4G? Not sure what you mean by that...

In the US we have 3 carriers with 4G LTE to choose from. Which sucks because in the US our devices are more or less locked to a carrier.

In the UK I believe they're still building out their LTE towers, last I heard EE had the best coverage.. But I could be wrong. LTE is the real deal if iu have coverage.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Thanks for that :cool: just swapped it :)

When a message is sent in Messages app. On my iPhone, if there wasn't enough signal, I could default to a normal text rather than iMessage. Can this be done with the iPad and more specifically can it receive text messages?

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Considerations regarding 32 or 64: as more apps are upgraded to or are built for retina they'll get bigger, and you might find many more uses for your iPad as you discover great apps.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Thanks for that :cool: just swapped it :)

When a message is sent in Messages app. On my iPhone, if there wasn't enough signal, I could default to a normal text rather than iMessage. Can this be done with the iPad and more specifically can it receive text messages?

Nope. You only have data on your tablet. Not voice (phone) and sms (text messaging). You have to use apps to get around those.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Nope. You only have data on your tablet. Not voice (phone) and sms (text messaging). You have to use apps to get around those.

Which apps could I use to direct SMS sent to the SIM card number in my iPad to the iPad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.