Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Hey I got the hard drive cable for my powerbook but upon installing the os it kept going up in estimated time to outrageous amounts.

IMG_0084_zps92f96dcc.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hey I got the hard drive cable for my powerbook but upon installing the os it kept going up in estimated time to outrageous amounts.

IMG_0084_zps92f96dcc.jpg
That's not outrageous. I've seen it hit days. There are zillions of small files that OSX installs and the installer tries to estimate time based on those small files. You'll notice that the time decreases when the installer is working on larger files. The only thing that matters is that it all gets installed.

If you want to see what the installer is doing though, go to the installer menu and have it show the log for successful and errors ( something like that). A new window will open and as the installer works you can see which files it's working on.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
OP, you'll have to be a bit more specific about your particular model and whatever other kind of other information you might think is helpful.

For instance, why did you have to replace the hard drive cable? Is it possible that your original hard drive is dying? Those PATA mechanical drives are now anywhere from 7 to 10+ years old. If they don't have bad sectors, they surely at least have wear and tear just from sheer old age. If an older computer is running unbearably slow and pulling up errors during the install, it's likely the drive is on its way out.

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
OP, you'll have to be a bit more specific about your particular model and whatever other kind of other information you might think is helpful.

For instance, why did you have to replace the hard drive cable? Is it possible that your original hard drive is dying? Those PATA mechanical drives are now anywhere from 7 to 10+ years old. If they don't have bad sectors, they surely at least have wear and tear just from sheer old age. If an older computer is running unbearably slow and pulling up errors during the install, it's likely the drive is on its way out.

The powerbook didnt come with one, just bought the hard drive working pulled from an ibook. It is the powerbook g4 ti 800mhz.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
The powerbook didnt come with one, just bought the hard drive working pulled from an ibook. It is the powerbook g4 ti 800mhz.

What's the size/capacity/age of the HD? You should run some kind of disk test or smart utility on that drive with another computer and see if it is dying.

Also, did the powerbook also come missing the cable?

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
What's the size/capacity/age of the HD? You should run some kind of disk test or smart utility on that drive with another computer and see if it is dying.

Also, did the powerbook also come missing the cable?

I figured it out, it was my hdd shorting out. Thanks for all thr help though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.