Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icebergx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi all,

I was looking for a simple photo editing programme for my Mac.
The only two "technical" features I want to be able to do are:

1) is to cut out objects from a picture and place them on a blank background
2) maybe create an image with a specific light source like this:http://crit365.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/oli-old-shot.png

However, the second one is not essential.

I know photoshop has this feature, but I want a lightweight programme as I'll never use any of photoshop's more complex features.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
All of the above mentioned apps are good for basic editing, but you have chosen to try some of the more challenging aspects of the art form. Removing an image from a background is more skill than technical application and only a few programs let you add lighting effects. PhotoShop being the only one I can think of.

Dale

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
All of the above mentioned apps are good for basic editing, but you have chosen to try some of the more challenging aspects of the art form. Removing an image from a background is more skill than technical application and only a few programs let you add lighting effects. PhotoShop being the only one I can think of.

Dale
Do not confuse the capabilities of the application with the knowledge and skills of the user. The OP's task is relatively simple. Photoshop is not the only application that can do it.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Hi all,

2) maybe create an image with a specific light source

I know photoshop has this feature, but I want a lightweight programme as I'll never use any of photoshop's more complex features.

Thanks.

You can cut out an object using Preview. Preview has a lot of photography editing features. I use it a lot. When I want to remove an object or do a quick fix, I use Preview. You can crop images for the web or print. Save as a PNG or PDF or any type of file. Very easy to do. A lot of people don't know its there. The same thing with Image Capture. DYK you can use to tether with your DSLR?

Other than that I use Lightroom. esp. for the light source. You can find a lot of plugins that will give you that effect.

Batteman87

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
South Carolina
Get a great program cheap.

Hi all,

2) maybe create an image with a specific light source like this:http://crit365.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/oli-old-shot.png

Thanks.

I know you want to do a simple task but I think you would be better off with Photoshop Elements. It's does TONS of stuff you might end up needing and has the layer features you're looking for. There are also tons of FREE tutorials and help forums when you're having trouble. I teach photography (HDR) and highly recommend this over some of the other "low cost" software out there. You get much more bang for your buck with PSE. You might can pick up PSE 9 0r 10 for cheaper too.

Just my two cents! Good luck with everything! :apple:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

I assume you do but means to simply crop out a rectangle from an image but to actually cut say a person for a street scene and place him in say a forest and then "fix" the lighting and shadows.

Those are NOT "simple". Tracing an outline of a complex object is not easy. There are automated tools in Photoshop that will help you but some hand work is required and many times you do NOT want a sharp cut but a feathered line or a "blend" of a few pixels wide.

The best program is going to be Adobe Photoshop Elements. Or if you need a free program use "Gimp". Simple programs like iPhoto just can't do this You need an image editing program that supots masks and layers. Elements and gimp both do that.

If you are looking to crop out a rectangle use Preview. It's already on your Mac.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I assume you do but means to simply crop out a rectangle from an image but to actually cut say a person for a street scene and place him in say a forest and then "fix" the lighting and shadows.

Those are NOT "simple". Tracing an outline of a complex object is not easy. There are automated tools in Photoshop that will help you but some hand work is required and many times you do NOT want a sharp cut but a feathered line or a "blend" of a few pixels wide.

The best program is going to be Adobe Photoshop Elements. Or if you need a free program use "Gimp". Simple programs like iPhoto just can't do this You need an image editing program that supots masks and layers. Elements and gimp both do that.

If you are looking to crop out a rectangle use Preview. It's already on your Mac.

Could try something like OnOne which is free for 30 days if its just for a specific project. Even I can use the layers and mask pro elements to cut out people objects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.