Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:58 PM   #1
jc244
macrumors newbie

Checking transfer speeds

I have a new model (2012) Mac Mini. In the system report I'm seeing two ports that show USB 3.0 with max 5.0Gb/s transfer rate and two ports that say that the max USB transfer speed is 480Mb/s. How do I actually check the transfer speed while that file transfers are taking place? I have a Lacie Rugged USB 3.0 device hooked up to the port that is showing 480Mb/s in the system report. Isn't that Mac Mini suppose to have all ports USB 3.0. Is the system report just showing incorrect info? Is there a program I can use to see the transfer rates as they are occurring?

Thanks.
jc244 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:33 PM   #2
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc244 View Post
I have a new model (2012) Mac Mini. In the system report I'm seeing two ports that show USB 3.0 with max 5.0Gb/s transfer rate and two ports that say that the max USB transfer speed is 480Mb/s. How do I actually check the transfer speed while that file transfers are taking place? I have a Lacie Rugged USB 3.0 device hooked up to the port that is showing 480Mb/s in the system report. Isn't that Mac Mini suppose to have all ports USB 3.0. Is the system report just showing incorrect info? Is there a program I can use to see the transfer rates as they are occurring?

Thanks.
down load xbench and run the disk part of the test.

http://xbench.com/

my read write is 200/170 on a slower ssd a toshiba on a t-bolt case
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-11-11 at 2.35.26 PM.png
Views:	33
Size:	580.3 KB
ID:	376580  
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:09 PM   #3
jc244
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
down load xbench and run the disk part of the test.

http://xbench.com/

my read write is 200/170 on a slower ssd a toshiba on a t-bolt case
Thanks. That helped.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:36 PM   #4
jc244
macrumors newbie

I don't really understand because in system information it clear had the external drive under the heading Hi-Speed Bus and I had it in a USB 3.0 port. I ran the disk test and I got somewhere around 30MB/Sec read and write. I unplugged the drive. I switched to another port and the drive was under the heading USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Bus. The read times were around 90MB/Sec. Then I unplugged again and put the drive back in the old spot and it's now under the heading USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Bus with speeds of 90MB/Sec. But it's the same as the old spot that had different statistics!

I have the USpeed 4port hub in slot 1. The Lacie drive in slot 2. Slot 2 was showing the slow speeds. Slot 3 and 4 are empty. The first switch was taking the Lacie drive from slot 2 to slot 4. Second switch was putting the Lacie in slot 1 and moving Uspeed hub to slot 2. Then lastly, I moved these back in the original configuration. 4port Hub in slot 1 and Lacie in slot 2. Aside from the very first configuration, all the configurations had USB 3.0. Why did it initially show the Lacie drive under 'Hi-Speed Bus' with the speeds to match?

At first I thought I had one port that was NOT USB 3.0, but that doesn't seem the case. So what is going on here?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:42 PM   #5
philipma1957
macrumors 603

I think it is auto detect. I have 3 ports that say usb3 super speed. I have one that says usb2 hub as it does attach to a usb2 hub and all devices are usb2.
so I think it needs to sense the usb3 and then it makes that port usb3.

if you have a usb2 plugged in it reads usb2 480mbs .

if you have a usb3 in it reads super speed. maybe your first try it mis read the usb3 controller and said usb2 or maybe the first plug in you need a reboot.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:35 PM   #6
jc244
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
I think it is auto detect. I have 3 ports that say usb3 super speed. I have one that says usb2 hub as it does attach to a usb2 hub and all devices are usb2.
so I think it needs to sense the usb3 and then it makes that port usb3.

if you have a usb2 plugged in it reads usb2 480mbs .

if you have a usb3 in it reads super speed. maybe your first try it mis read the usb3 controller and said usb2 or maybe the first plug in you need a reboot.
I think you are right. The very first device I had in the port could have been an IR receiver for my mouse, which would have detected USB 2.0.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini