Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Sara sammons
macrumors newbie

Power cut, retrieve lost work

I was mid way through building an image in photoshop cs2 when the power went out, is there any hiddy hole that my mac may have hidden an auto save/ recovery type file in the way a microsoft PC would have or is it really lost for ever?
Sara sammons is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Concorde Rules
macrumors 68000

No.

Get into a habit to saving regularly
Concorde Rules is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:50 PM   #3
DanielCoffey
macrumors 65816

Does CS2 have a temp file folder?

Also, are you using 10.8 and it's Versions tool?

Finally, how old is the previous Time Machine backup of the file?
DanielCoffey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:58 PM   #4
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

I have one of these that I picked up for $25 from an office going-out-of-business sale. (Eventually, it needed a new battery, which was about $100.) Combined with one of these for my two monitors, I can power my Mac Pro, RAID tower and all peripherals for 45 minutes during a power failure before I reach the last bars on the batteries. I think they would go 50 minutes before running out. I experience enough power fluctuations and failures that it's well worth it. I can think of at least a dozen times I've kept on working while the house lights flickered or went dark.

Of course, regular saving and backup is key for critical work, but I think a UPS is required for a desktop system, unless you work at NORAD or someplace where constant, clean power is assured.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:41 PM   #5
blackmoses
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara sammons View Post
I was mid way through building an image in photoshop cs2 when the power went out, is there any hiddy hole that my mac may have hidden an auto save/ recovery type file in the way a microsoft PC would have or is it really lost for ever?
Unfortunately, probably not. I know Photoshop saves active Smart Layers into the TemporaryItems folder (hidden pretty deep in your Library), but not whole documents.

Hence the designers' mantra: save and save often. I think all of us have lost a pretty big project to a crash or power failure; I've lost several. Just relax, relate, release and start over with the build again. It's usually quicker the second time.
blackmoses is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:01 PM   #6
gpzjock
macrumors 6502a

I have to agree with Wonderspark, have had an APC UPS for 3 years now and will never run a mission critical application without one again.
A lot of folks only learn to back up after their first HDD failure, many others only find out what a UPS is after their first power cut...
Time Machine backs up automatically but the intervals are long between each snapshot. You can change this with a command line instruction: http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/02/chang...ckup-schedule/
gpzjock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:16 PM   #7
Sara sammons
macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I normally am quite good at saving regularly but it is Sod's law the one time I get engrossed and forget the house is plummeted into darkness. I will look into a battery backup though
Sara sammons is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro