Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrdroid921

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Is this just a bug in ios 6? The music volume seems fine, but you really have to turn it all the way up to hear the lock and keyboard sounds.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
This problem has not been resolved. The issue in the thread posted above is a common user error with the 'Change with Buttons' option.

There is an audio bug in iOS 6 that reduces the lock/unlock and keyboard click sounds about 50% lower than all other sounds at the user selected level.

For example, there are 16 sound levels. I prefer to have my alert sounds and ringtones set to 8. So, I set them to level 8 (half way), then select not to 'change with buttons' so that this alert sound preference is locked in.

When you toggle the 'Lock Sounds' and 'Keyboard Clicks' buttons on and off in System Settings, they are at normal (level 8) volume. The problem is, when the iPad actually uses these sounds to lock/unlock, etc., they playback at sound level 3 or 4.

Even after you turn on 'Change with Buttons' the play-black of the lock/unlock sounds are still greatly reduced. I've only seen this on iPad 3's and iPad 4's with iOS 6.

mrdroid921

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
This problem has not been resolved. The issue in the thread posted above is a common user error with the 'Change with Buttons' option.

There is an audio bug in iOS 6 that reduces the lock/unlock and keyboard click sounds about 50% lower than all other sounds at the user selected level.

For example, there are 16 sound levels. I prefer to have my alert sounds and ringtones set to 8. So, I set them to level 8 (half way), then select not to 'change with buttons' so that this alert sound preference is locked in.

When you toggle the 'Lock Sounds' and 'Keyboard Clicks' buttons on and off in System Settings, they are at normal (level 8) volume. The problem is, when the iPad actually uses these sounds to lock/unlock, etc., they playback at sound level 3 or 4.

Even after you turn on 'Change with Buttons' the play-black of the lock/unlock sounds are still greatly reduced. I've only seen this on iPad 3's and iPad 4's with iOS 6.

Thanks for that info. Hopefully apple fixes it.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Try this, it works for me.

Before locking your device. Go to video app and play a video doesn't matter how long then exit the app. Now when you lock your device, the lock sound will be as loud as it should. Still if you play game or do anything else, the lock sound bug will come back. Hope they fix it in 6.1.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I too have noticed the low volume lock sounds, very odd. And then there is the whole auto gamma/brightness during video playback that only affects the iPad 4.

AND there has been a bug in iOS 6 bluetooth streaming from the Music app that causes anything streamed to be sound like an old static radio. Pandora works fine though so its obviously a Music app bug.

Too many silly bugs with iOS 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.