Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:26 AM   #1
DoNoHarm
macrumors 65816

We're going about this whole case thing wrong

After reading this article:

http://thoughtfuldesign.net/how-will-the-iphone5-wear

I was struck by how beautiful the original iphone wore after a few years of use. The article has convinced me to keep my recently ordered iphone 5 "naked" and even has me reconsidering my decision to go with the white one. The black one may end up looking better after a few years time...
DoNoHarm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:33 AM   #2
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

One can get immersed in the different options and reviews on this.

Really it's down to personnel choice.

Personally I use a bumper on my iPhone 5 for grip purposes only.
bandofbrothers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:49 AM   #3
BRyken
macrumors 6502

Its personal preference. For me the big thing is dropping it. For that I have a case. If I knew I would never drop it but it may get scratched up on a desk after a few years or slight cosmetic damage I may reconsider. But dropping it "could" permanently damage it functionality-wise too.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:30 PM   #4
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Recently, I've been back and forth with case and without (incipio dual pro). I just ordered a transparent skin from Best Skins Ever. I'm giong to apply it and see how it goes. I sit at a desk for the majority of the day which poses little threat to the iPhone.

I'm not immune from dropping the thing... but at the same time, I did purchase an AppleCare+ warranty for it.

I'm still unsure. There are certainly times when a case is most appropriate but at the same time, I want to tell myself "It's a phone and it has a warranty... just use it as it was intended to be used".

We'll see how I feel after the BSE skin comes and gets applied.

I like the grip that a case affords -- it's still hard getting used to having such a slick, thin device in my hand. At the same time, I love the way the thing is in my pocket without a case. Feels much more obtuse and less like a tumor.

Maybe I should have looked into a bumper for it? I don't know. All I can say is that the case was about $20 and the BSE was about $10 so that puts me at $30 for protection. Another $20 and I could have just saved $50 for my first AC+ deductible.
Leonard1818 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:39 PM   #5
Nolander07
macrumors 6502

No case for me. I bought AppleCare +. I do have a case for going to the gym, possibly vacations, etc. I prefer the feel of it without a case.
Nolander07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:53 PM   #6
wordoflife
macrumors 604

I don't mind wear, I just mind if it cracks and costs me $200.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:53 PM   #7
BFizzzle
Banned

incipio feather case for me.. its insanely thing and still keeps my phone feeling light/thin
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
incipio feather case for me.. its insanely thing and still keeps my phone feeling light/thin
I really like the incipio feather also. Just wish they had a clear or smoke one.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:00 PM   #9
imacadoo
macrumors newbie

I just love the power support air jacket. Black one because it isn't slick and has some grip. It adds virtually nothing to the size of the phone. My fav used to be the case mate barely there case. Had it with the 4s but the version for the 5 adds a pad but also adds to the thickness. Still amazed at how the air jacket is as close to the size of the actual phone as I would think possible. I'm very careful with the phone so I don't need a vault to protect it.
imacadoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:38 PM   #10
DoNoHarm
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
Recently, I've been back and forth with case and without (incipio dual pro). ........
Maybe I should have looked into a bumper for it? I don't know. All I can say is that the case was about $20 and the BSE was about $10 so that puts me at $30 for protection. Another $20 and I could have just saved $50 for my first AC+ deductible.
Exactly. Saving the money and just using it for the AC+ deductible also makes sense because you're basically getting a battery, logic board, screen, etc. replacement, which you arguably can recoup when you sell off the phone after the contract is up.
DoNoHarm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:16 AM   #11
Richardgm
macrumors 6502

My original iPhone got badly scratched after about a year. My only issue with it was that awful "metal smell" that got on my hands.
Richardgm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:28 AM   #12
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNoHarm View Post
We're going about this whole case thing wrong
You're confusing "we" and "I". It's a matter of preference just as it has always been -- for every device, not just the iPhone.

Quote:
Exactly. Saving the money and just using it for the AC+ deductible also makes sense because you're basically getting a battery, logic board, screen, etc. replacement, which you arguably can recoup when you sell off the phone after the contract is up.
What does or doesn't make sense is a subjective matter. It makes sense to you. It makes sense to others. That said, it's not the preferred option for everyone for various reasons. Don't just assume that your needs/wants are universal no matter what the topic.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:39 AM   #13
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
You're confusing "we" and "I". It's a matter of preference just as it has always been -- for every device, not just the iPhone.

What does or doesn't make sense is a subjective matter. It makes sense to you. It makes sense to others. That said, it's not the preferred option for everyone for various reasons. Don't just assume that your needs/wants are universal no matter what the topic.
While it is impossible to have a debate with anyone completely fixated on their belief I will suspend my own feelings toward the phone and see where the OP is coming from. Much like our process of aging brings with it's fair share of blemishes and scars and I can see why allowing your phone to go through the same process would be logical. While most people like to sell their iPhones in order to self subsidize the next I think that having a phone that shows what it's been through is kind of an interesting idea. However, I'm a subsidizer so I'll be keeping this guy in tip top shape.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:44 AM   #14
lamerica80
macrumors 6502

Seriously another thread about this??

If you like your phone naked, as i do, just get a nice leather sleeve for it so you can stick in your pocket with keys and change worry-free, and pull it out of the sleeve when you want to use it.

This way, your iphone will keep it new-phone look for 2 years easy.

The sleeve is also comfortoble holding for example during a work out and also protecting the iphone from sweat and accidental drops.

Youre welcome.
lamerica80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:13 PM   #15
DoNoHarm
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post

Obviously I'm not positing that there is one and only one correct choice for everyone. I think you may be missing the point of this forum.... I'm just saying, with applecare plus, you basically get a brand new phone for $50. Spending upto 60 dollars on a case becomes a less appealing proposition...
DoNoHarm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:15 PM   #16
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Obviously I'm not positing that there is one and only one correct choice for everyone. I think you may be missing the point of this forum.... I'm just saying, with applecare plus, you basically get a brand new phone for $50. Spending upto 60 dollars on a case becomes a less appealing proposition...
I agree with you 100% but I'm sure he will come back and say that opinion may work for you but isn't shared by blah, blah, blah.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone