Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canuckle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
So looking for some advice...my retired parents existing PC is on its last legs, and I'd like to see them get an iMac. Mom is the more tech savvy, and is totally on board. Dad doesn't use the computer much anyway, when he does he wants to research coins, shop for hotel rooms, really just internet browsing. Mom is more hands on, and will use FaceTime (she has my old iPhone 4 and loves it), Safari, Pages/Numbers, maybe some light games etc. They love music, and have lots of CD's to import (and some cassettes, lol, out of luck there).

Dad got an iPad for his Birthday and uses it every day for the above uses only. He 'likes that FaceTime thing 'cause you and Mom can stay in touch', but he's not interested in that. Man of few words :rolleyes:

So, how to best convince him it's a good buy? While he won't really use it much he's a pretty logical guy and gets the factual stuff.

What would be your reasons in the discussion?

Mine are simple, I'm their IT support, and I like the idea of that being a whole lot easier, lol.

Any and all thoughts welcome!

Mike

canuckle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
Happy wife - happy life!

Ha ha, totally agree (I subscribe to that theory myself). Just want to make a good case, he's pretty sharp and good with expenses.

FWIW, the base model 21.5" would be plenty for them for years to come.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
If it's a typical PC requiring lots of tech support, you should be able to make an argument on that alone. That's what I did. Because of continuing issues my father switched from PC to Mac at age 88. He had been using a personal computer (TRS-80 first) for 25 years. Being able to remotely manage and video conference were a big bonus.

Caromsoft

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
I'm a consultant for a number of elderly clients. One of my clients was running a Vista PC, and I would get calls all the time from her. She would tell me the computer was running slow, how much she hated it, and she was ready to throw it out the window. I told her to buy an iMac, which she did. Didn't hear from her for six months. A couple of days ago she calls me.

Her. "I bet you were thinking you weren't going to hear from me again!"

Me. "I figured when you had a problem you would call."

Her. "My keyboard won't connect."

Me. "Did you replace the batteries?"

Her. "Yes."

Me. "There is a power button on the side, you have to push it."

Her. "You're a GENIUS! Goodbye!" :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'm a consultant for a number of elderly clients. One of my clients was running a Vista PC, and I would get calls all the time from her. She would tell me the computer was running slow, how much she hated it, and she was ready to throw it out the window. I told her to buy an iMac, which she did. Didn't hear from her for six months. A couple of days ago she calls me.

Her. "Yes."

That's pretty much how it works...For people who don't use their Macs for high end work and are happy to browse, shop email etc. There is really no need for them to do anything....Maybe point this out to your dad OP, and explain that getting rid of the Windows machine will mean a hassle free, user friendly experience. No anti-virus packages to buy, no endless rounds of monthly updates etc. The logical side of him should like this idea.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
My father (age 78) switched last year. For him convincing arguments were:
- fast boot time of the iMac (his Windows-PC took minutes)
- no need for anti-virus programs
- and after the switch he also liked the nice screen and FaceTime

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Back around 2007 my mom was still using her G4 Cube. It was painfully slow but she never complained. But I did b/c every time I was in town she had a list of things that needed fixing. So I told gave her an ultimatum: buy a new machine or I can't help you with your computer anymore because it's obsolete.

She relented and and bought a 24" iMac. She's still using it, of course. So forget all the logical reasons and just push to the threat. They can live with old machines... they lived through worse! But they can't live without free tech support from son or daughter. Ha!

My dad, like yours is a little less tech savvy. We've had to buy every computer he's had because he will not spend his own $ for one, even though he enjoys it. But last year my mom gave him her old original iPad when she upgraded to an iPad2 (funny how they'll upgrade iPads quickly but not computers) and he doesn't use the computer as much anymore... mostly just to pay bills.

canuckle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
Those responses are exactly what I was hoping for, you guys are awesome. Thank you!

----------

Her. "Yes."

Love this BTW!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.